This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Ping delays at 60 sec intervals

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

Does anyone know of something in Vista that could cause ping delays at precisely 60 second intervals?

I am trying to use this device to wirelessly stream audio from my HP DV6000 series laptop running Vista Home Premium to external speakers. At intervals of precisely 60 seconds, I'm getting a significant audio disruptions.

Continuous pinging of the router produces responses at 1 ms, but every 60 seconds, 4 or 5 responses jump up as high as 250 ms. I'm using a Linksys WRK54G router, but I've eliminated that as the cause of the problem, since my other laptop (an older Toshiba running XP) does NOT experience the same delays while pinging the same router. Also, the Vista PC does not have delays when connected to the router via a cable.

This leads me to believe that something in the Vista laptop is causing ping delays every 60 seconds. Does anyone know what this might be, or have any suggestions as to how to track it down?

Thanks!
snowkilts,

If you're able to access this wireless audio device from OTHER PC, but not your Vista-based PC, then I'm thinking there is some firewall (or add on firewall setting) that's blocking the port that your Vista PC needs to communicate with this Wireless Audio device.

I say this with caution as ANYTING related to firewalls or anti-virus software is OFF LIMITS in term of my ability to provide advice for here.

I would go to the link in your original post (support site for this device, then click on the link "Setup Wizard (XP and Vista)":

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c…aypage=download

When you open this page - it speaks of specific sound issues:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c…aypage=download

These might address the problem you're having.

Hope this helps.

- John
Thanks for your response, but in the meantime I have solved the problem.

Turns out that the disruption is being caused by the Vista Wlan Auto Config service (wlansvc). This is the Vista version of the Windows Zero Config (WZC) feature from XP. It wakes up every 60 seconds and scans for wireless networks, thus causing significant latency on the current connection for several seconds.

Unfortunately, unlike XP, the Vista service cannot be stopped without dropping the wireless connection altogether.

A nice little freeware utility is available suppresses the scan and solves the problem : wlan optimizer

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI