This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows crashes whenever I try to delete files, etc.

29 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Well I slipstreamed my XP CD with SP2 using nlite, so now I just need to test it, probably will within the next few days or so.

I would never have even attempted that on a broken computer, hope it worked

Attempted what? Creating the CD? I don't understand the concern. If you are going to reformat and start over again anyway, doing so with an updated slipstream CD makes it easy - you don't have to worry about first installing XP, then upgrading to SP2, then installing all the hotfixes - it's all done at once.
making a slipstreamed cd to install with, would be the obvious process you would not want to attempt on a computer that's got shell problems

that's why i asked her earlier if she had access to another computer

running a repair disk was an obvious solution to this original problem since all other efforts failed

of course, often as not that doesn't work either, but at least it's worth a try

you don't have to worry about first installing XP, then upgrading to SP2, then installing all the hotfixes - it's all done at once.


yes that's exactly what I have been saying all along, in this thread and all others I have posted in for the last 3-4 years

making a slipstreamed cd to install with, would be the obvious process you would not want to attempt on a computer that's got shell problems

Why?

making a slipstreamed cd to install with, would be the obvious process you would not want to attempt on a computer that's got shell problems

Why?



It's a complicated procedure for the operating system, you are basically building a new OS from the ground up and a tribute to MS that it works so well, then there's the issue of burning the cd, that is another can of worms.

But the bottom line is:


It worked! :thumbup:
Well it seems making the Slipstreamed CD worked but I never tested it and now the problem has been resolved I don't plan to for awhile I guess. Using nlite to make slipstreamed cd is a lot easier and possibly more reliable than other methods.
I was going to ask why too - but you seemed to answer the question - there is no why.

a tribute to MS that it works so well

My experience is if Windows and the slipstream program work and complete creating the disk, then it worked - generally it is very easy.

Whenever I try to delete/copy/paste, etc. files or folders in Windows Explorer it crashes.


from post 1


What has this got to do with anything? The problem somehow and I don't know how has been resolved, the problem in your quote no longer happens.
You have already mentioned this more than once and I have already said since this is no longer an issue it no longer matters and even if I still had the problem I would still attempt it because I see no evidence as to why it would interfere. Even if it did I could still just use it to reinstall Windows. This topic should really be closed as there's little more to add. La Voila' topic Closed. Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI