This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

HD Dying?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:pullhair: My wifes laptop: XPS M1530 shuts down for, seamingly, no reason. When it loads windows vista it says it has currupt files in iTunes and google. I've tried Symantec, McAfee, AVG ainti-virus with zero virus' found. Tried running Chkdsk in both normal and safe mode. it finds 3 errors and stops at 0%, 4%, and 6% and says its cannot continue in read-only. I updated drivers, checked Windows updates, performed a hard drive scan with PC diagnostics CD as well as "Ultimate Boot CD". Please help… i've run out of ideas Thanks in advance from both of us, Molly and Johnathan Carlton
Hi Molly and Johnathan With a new computer like this one, the HD should run smooth and perfect. Given the things you already tried, and the fact that Chkdsk finds 3 errors, i would hasten and make use of the warranty. As far as I remember, you have 6 months of absolute warranty, where the sellers have to take it back and either repair or replace it without cost. Unless you have bought extra warranty that is of course. I cannot see the need for trying to troubleshoot a new HD / Hardware like this, as I mentioned above, it should run perfect. So my guess is, that you two have just "pulled a unlucky ticket", so make use of that warranty before its to late. After the 6 months, its you who have to prove that the computer was "born" with the error, now, its the store which have to prove it wasn't. This is very rarely done, as it is in the stores interest to have happy customers, so usually they just take it in without further discussion. Kind regards Abydos
I agree - if it is still under warranty, use it!

I might suggest one thing first - If iTunes and Google (I assume Google toolbar) are giving you problems, delete iTunes and Google and see what happens!

You mention Symantec and McAfee - but you did not specify which product by either maker. Therefore, I suggest you do a complete malware scan, not just for viruses, but with a good anti-spyware scanner too. Here's a link to my canned text on Cleaning Out Malware. Use it if you don't already have a complete security suite and disk cleaning utilities to rid your system of malware and clutter. You can also use it augment or as a guide to build your own security suite, and to help you develop or enhance a "Practicing Safe Computing" self-discipline.

Also, the purpose of read-only is to detect (read) - but NOT repair (write) - errors. Perhaps you should check the Automatically Fix File System Errors check box, and then click Start. Do note that chkdsk can take many hours; 12+ is not uncommon - and it may certainly appear to be stopped, when not. If you decide to run chkdsk again, I would make sure the system is totally clean of extra stuff first - either with Disk Cleanup or CCleaner (see canned text for instructions).

That said, if you have been diligent at practicing safe computing, and you are sure the problem is not malware, or a program you installed, or if you just don't want to take any chances, contact tech support for warranty service - at the very least, get on record (with a time stamped service request support number) that you are having problems, before the warranty comes close to expiring.

Finally - backup any and all personal data NOW! - just in case this is a genuine hardware problem, and you lose the drive, and/or you have to send the computer in for repair.
Thank you both Abydos and Digerati. I tried your suggestions to no evail so i guess i'm shipping it back. I was just being reluctant to do so since i'm now living in England. Again, thank you for the help. Respectfully, Molly and Johnathan Carlton

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI