This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HELP! Vista won't load!

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I have a dell xps M1210 and my computer froze up while I was syncing my iPod and pressed the power button to shut the computer down. Now Vista will not load the loading bar pops up and never does anything. I have tried starting in Safe Mode, going back to last good know configuration, none work. I booted a linux operating system from a live CD to see if my files were still on the Hard drive and they are but it wont let me copy them to an external hard drive says I do not have permission. Help Please
Hi. Merry Christmas and almost Happy New Year!

I believe you need to run chkdsk to clean up corrupted file system.

You are going to have to get into BIOS Setup on your computer to set the CD/DVD drive as the first bootable device, so you can then boot your XP CD.

How you do this varies with each manufacturer. Normally you press F1, F2, F10 or Del when you see the manufacturers logo. Often there is a clue somewhere on the screen when you boot normally telling you what key to press.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and create a bootable CD from the .iso file XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will
do this.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).
From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It will take awhile depending on how large the hard drive is and how much data is on it, be patient.
I tried the XP Recovery and a blue screen would come up saying system startup error. So I used my Windows 7 disk and ran Check Disk and it would freeze while running and would never finish.
My apologies, I missed the fact that you were running Vista as I saw Windows XP in the info under your login name on the left.

I would recommend downloading the hard drive manufacturers utility from their web site (not Dell, the HD manufacturer) then boot and run it, see if it finds any problems. It will be a .iso file you create a CD from. A good program to do this with is ImgBurn.

If that doesn't find anything, all I can suggest is to mount the hard drive in another computer as a slave (or 2nd drive if SATA) then run chkdsk against it there.
My hard drive is a Toshiba Hard Drive and they currently do not offer a hard drive utility for their drives. If I connect it to another computer do I run check disk from my windows xp computer if that is the one I'm connecting it? It is a SATA drive. Toshiba Disk Drive MK8037G5X Serial: ATA
Until Ztruker gets back… Yes exactlt that the command you could use would be chkdsk Z: /r when Z is the letter for your Toshiba Drive Happy New Year Regards paws PS unless you are in dire straits its not a good idea to use the computer's "power" button to close down Windows……it can cause all sorts of file corruptions etc….
I did some research on Toshiba drives and found several entries that said the IBM and Maxtor drive tools would work with some Toshiba drives. I wonder why Toshiba doesn't provide some kind of diagnostic utility like all the other drive manufacturers do? I don't think I'll buy a Toshiba drive in the future. Slaving the drive and running chkdsk is definitely your best bet, as Paws said.
I was finally able to run Check Disk and this is what was done:


X:\Sources>chkdsk c: /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.

CHKDSK is verifying files …
187456 file records processed.
File verification comopleted.
597 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
44 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes …
238076 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors …
187456 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
25311 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal…
36172680 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data …
21 percent complete. <50557 of 187440 files processed>
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 50607
of name \PROGRA~2\avg8\update\prepare\incavi.avm.
21 percent complete. <75858 of 187440 files processed>
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 75902
of name \Windows\winsxs\Backup\X8603A~1.DLL.
21 percent complete. <98940 of 187440 files processed>
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 99019
of name \Windows\Prefetch\READYB~1\Trace10.fx.
22 percent complete. <148406 of 187440 files processed>
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 148452
of name \Users\name\Shared\AERC1F~1.MP3.
22 percent complete. <178575 of 187440 files processed>
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 178598
of name \Windows\SOFTWA~1\Download\C91AF4~1\X86_PR~2.180\I386\HPZ3ALHN.DLL.
187440 files processed
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space …
6807446 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.
Adding 22 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

65510392 KB total disk space.
37846196 KB in 161502 files.
89040 KB in 25312 indexes.
48084 KB in bad sectors.
297352 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
27229720 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
16377598 total allocation units on disk.
6807430 allocation units available on disk.
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.




Then I restarted and Windows Vista was trying to load and never loaded.
Ugh, sounds like the drive itself is having some significant problems. Please run chkdsk again and see if it finds any more errors, If yes, run it again. Need to get it to a point where it gets a clean run, meaning no more bad sectors are being found. Once that's done, exactly what happens when you try to boot Vista now?
When I boot Vista a black screen will load with the mouse pointer on it and that is all. Then I press the power button once and the logging off screen comes on and then the shutting down screen and it turns off
You can download the Vista Recovery Console, 32 or 64 bit, from here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist…-disc-download/

Create a bootable CD from the torrent download, then boot it and run Repair your computer up to 3 times, see if that gets things working again.

If not, did you run chkdsk again until it reported no errors?

There are two things you can try that I think will allow you to save your data then do a clean install or restore to factory state.

1. Do a Parallel install to another directory tree on your boot drive. The default is C:\Windows, so you can change this to C:\WinVista or C:\Windows2 or whatever you want. Once that's done you can backup your data then do a clean install or restore to factory state.

2. Buy a new hard drive. Replace the existing one. Install Vista then put the old drive back as a cslave drive, restore your data then wipe the old drive and use it for data or backup, if you feel it's solid enough to continue using.

I don't understand the part about booting a Linux Live CD and not being able to access your data on the hard drive. Linux doesn't care about XP access controls so there should not be a problem. What live CD did you use?
I have ran check disk till no bad sectors are found. I also performed repair my computer it would only let me do it once. Now my login screen will come, but when I click on the user icon the screen blinks black then comes back.. The following errors popup after the login screen appears the 1st time: werfault.exe-application error The instruction at 0x76e32efb referenced memory at 0xe9163f5d. The memory could not be read. Click Ok to terminate the program. SLUI.exe-application error The instruction at 0x77c02efb referenced memory at 0xe9163f5d. The memory could not be read. Click Ok to terminate the program.
I think it's time to buy a new hard drive. Replace the existing one. Install Vista then put the old drive back as a slave drive, restore your data then wipe the old drive and use it for data or backup, if you feel it's solid enough to continue using, otherwise, scrap it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI