This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Just to say Hello, ..and Help!

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello everyone, :wavey:
I'm a retired guy that has until now enjoyed learning about my computer, and been quite confident in what I've been able to achieve.
I help out at a class for computer literacy, mostly for retired people, case of the blind being led by the partially sighted!
My current experience has brought me to the brink of dispair, and I'm seriously re-thinking my future with computers.
I had a virus, "Win32.TrojanSpy.Banker" deleted it, re scanned and found "WIN32.Processes.exe", classed by a-Squared as "Riskware", and quarentined it.
Then my troubles really started.
10 days with the "Malware Removal Forum" …directed to the a-Squared Forum, Almost 4 weeks there, during which time I did a "Factory re-set" which took me back to November2003!
It was a rocky road back to 2008!
installing SP2, and about 100 updates which took me 20 hrs at one stretch to get them all to install!
Though the recon my PC is "Clean" the consensus is that I now have a conflict, either software, or hardware,… or some hardware failing.
So I really need someone who can sort out my poor machine before I send it for landfil.
Hope you can help me! :pullhair:

six-h

PS posting in the Windows Forum!
Hello six-h

[external image: Posted Image]

You sure have been having a bad time of it, but not on our Malware Forum so I would suggest you go HERE and let our experts make sure you are clear of all Malware, then we could address any other problems you may have with your system.

If you have no answer in five days, post a gentle reminder here.

If you feel you are clean of malware you could run the following and see if it helps.

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.
Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.

kind regards,
Hello tallin

Sorry I've not responded to you until today.
I saw the e-mail Tuesday afternoon whilst helping out at my computer class, but all the stress and lost sleep over this is beginning to tell on me, and I couldn't face any more yesterday !

During all the Poking and prodding that my PC has had this past 6 weeks, it has been pronounced "clean" by both the "Malware Removal Forum", and the "a-Squared forum", and the concensus seems to be that these attempts to rectify the problem have unfortunately contributed to it.
Given that, I'm inclined to accept that my PC is more than likely clean, and would prefer not to subject it to further scrutiny if possible!
Are you happy to proceed on that basis?

I'm not sure if this forum operates in the same way as the Malware Removal Forum who advised me to come to you.
Will you personally be handling all my problems?
Do we do it here, in the "Greetings" forum, or move to the thread that I've started in the "Windows" forum?

First up, a bit of background to my machine:
PC : - Medion model Titanium MD8080XL purchased Nov. 2003
Processor : - Pentium P4 3GHz,with HT, 800MHz fsb.
Graphics : - ATI Radeon 8900XL 128MB DDR SDRAM, 256Bit Memory Interface
Harddrive : - 160GB Seagate, 7200rpm ultra ATA
RAM : - 2x512MB DDR 400MHz 64 bit
OS : - Windows XP SP2

The Graphics card is I believe, a special for Medion, having only 2x VGA Ports.
It also incorporates an analogue TV tuner.

The Hard drive is in 3 sectors, C : - "Boot" 74.5GB (NTFS) D : - "Backup" 68.6GB (NTFS) and E : - "Recover" 5.84GB (FAT 32)

I have been supplied with an "Application & Support Disk", which I used to restore Factory settings, and I believe this works in conjunction with the FAT 32 recovery sector of my Hard Drive.

I was also given an "Operating System Installation Disk", which Medion tell me if used, will only install the operating system, No drivers, No bundled software, nothing!
They were also dubious that if I used this Disk, whether I would in the future still have the option of being able to use the "Application & Support" Disk to "Restore to factory settings" ever again!!
There is a further Medion Disk included with the pack, "Nero Burning ROM 6.0.0.17d"
this mystifies me a bit, 'cos I've not needed it when restoring to factory settings, and Nero seems to be all present and correct!

The last Disk is the Microsoft "Works Suite 2004" DVD, which includes Word 2002, and the add-ins for Word, ..what ever they are!
It also has my Product Key sticker on it.

Now to business!
Given the above, I'm not sure if you wish me to use the "Operating System Installation Disk", so I'll wait for your reply before using the Windows Protected System File Checker SFC.
Does that also repair anything in the FAT32 "Recover" sector?

Finally, thanks, for offering your help, I do hope you can fix it for me!
The irony is that I feel I was infected by e-mails sent by my cousin from cyber cafes in Australia, or New Zealand!
At the age of 54, she's decided to go backpacking and is currently a resident "Mary Poppins" with a Family in Melbourne!

six-h

There is a further Medion Disk included with the pack, "Nero Burning ROM 6.0.0.17d"
this mystifies me a bit, 'cos I've not needed it when restoring to factory settings, and Nero seems to be all present and correct!


that would seem to indicate you have run windows as a repair disk not a factory restore?
Hi chewy,
No, trust me! it was definately a restore!
Just the Original 4 or 5 icons on the desktop,
and everything back to 2003, XP sp1, IE6, WMP9,
Had to go through the whole registration process again, ..naming the computer, accepting windows EULA, the "Windows XP Tour", the whole shooting match!
As you would expect upon purchase, all the bundled software was already pre installed after the factory re-set.

What confuses me about the Nero CD, (It's a Medion issued CD by the way), is that I've never needed it, so couldn't see the point in it being supplied. Mind you, I also have the Works Suite DVD, and that too has re-appeared without the need for the disk.
Just as you would expect I suppose, when buying a new PC.

I've been sat here all night wrestling with iTunes and WMP11 trying to sort out a few oddities that have occured since the re-install.
For some reason two tracks with different names are playing the same music!
I'll never understand the logic of these players!!

six-h
Having the cd's was actually a good support feature, nero is always getting corrupt, and needs to be cleaned and reloaded from time to time.

This forum is only for introductions. Please use the appropriate forums for tech support requests.

Yes, I haven't burned many discs, so it hasn't let me down ..yet!
I do get a "Compatibility warning though, between this version of Nero, and Windows XP.
I mailed them about it, 'cos it has a link in the warning, but it's only to their home page, and no information about the incompatibility, mind you, we are talking a 4/5 year old version of Nero!!

Who put that warning up??
I've already said to "tallin", that I'm waiting to be directed to the thread I've opened in the Windows forum!
Just waiting for him to reply, but I'd better get off to bed!
Before we get booked by the "forum police". lol


six-h
Calling tallin

I'm totally confused.
You made contact with me on this forum, gave advice, then disappeared.
Please at least let me know if I should expect you to respond, since I'm not allowed to either e-mail you or p.m. you.
As I have asked in my post of Mar 19th, should I continue this in the thread that I've started in the Windows forum.
Please respond!

six-h
Hi six-h Please don't expect an individual volunteer (like tallin, or any others) who offers their thoughts and suggestions in an attempt to help you, to be your mentor on a ongoing basis…… b].this forum doesn't work that way. A member will offer suggestions or not according to their knowledge and experience. Different members in the same thread will offer you their thoughts as appropriate for your consideration and action as you think fit. The volunteers who offer their views and comments on this forum have their own full lives and everyday jobs to perform grabbing a few minutes of their own leisure time to offer the benefit of their knowledge in this forum, whenever they can. This situation is slightly different as a rule from the malware removal forums (where I see you have also posted and received valuable advice from ShadowComputerDude) On the malware removal forums, in a lot of cases, one particular adviser tends to stick with the original poster, but that is generally not the case on a lot of forums (like this one!) For the time being it might be wise for you to consider having just the one thread open if your posts are about predominantly the same sort of issues. I hope this sets the scene for you, so you understand why different folks may or may not offer offer their views on your particular issues. Regards paws
Thanks Paws

I take it that you have read my intro in this forum where tallin offered his advice, as well as my plea for help in the Windows forum
I would have thought that tallin, or at least someone would have answered my subsequent queries regarding that advice in either forum.

That this site operates in this way is rather disconcerting, and does not fill me with confidence to follow advice given by people that do not follow through with support for those of us who are less technically able.

Regarding having only one thread open, I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to how to "close" the thread in the Meet and Greet forum, and in any case, I live in hope of a response from tallin!

Sorry if my mood seems a little negative, but it's fast getting that way.lol

six-h

That this site operates in this way is rather disconcerting, and does not fill me with confidence to follow advice given by people that do not follow through with support for those of us who are less technically able.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.We make every attempt to ensure that the help and advice posted is accurate and will not cause harm to your computer. However, we do not guarantee that they are accurate and they are to be used at your own risk.

Our volunteers have different expertises. Myself, I work mainly in the infections area. Trying to fix your issues can be very difficult without being in front of your PC and not knowing what has already been added or removed. Having said that, this service and advice is FREE.

Sorry if my mood seems a little negative, but it's fast getting that way

We can undersatnd your frustration. DO NOT take your frustrations out on any volunteers here. Doing so will get you're topics closed.

No one here caused your issues with your PC. We didn't use your PC and get it infected, you did. If you aren't happy with the FREE help you have received here and at the other FREE forums, I suggest you take your PC to a repair shop.

I'm closing this topic. Continue here in the Windows forum.