This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Conflict: Software/Hardware, or something failing

16 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Back in mid Feb, I discovered I was infected with "WIN32.TrojanSpy.Banker" whilst doing an "AdAware" scan.
Deleted it, and ran a deep scan with a-Squared, which found "WIN32.Processor.exe", "Riskware" that I quarantined.
Since then when booting up, all progressed normally 'till the "Welcome" screen where the music should play, and it didn't.
The desktop built strangely, and the music started half way through the build.
My antivirus download icon appeared in the sys. tray, though it was not downloading. Eventually, it disappeared, and then reappeared about ten minutes later, and downloaded "today's definitions" as normal.

Of I trotted to the "Malware Removal Forum", after several days, they referred me to the "a-Squared Forum", who poked and prodded and interogated my poor PC for a further week during which time they asked me to update Spybot (I had ver 1.4) that turned out to be a re- install, but it went well, and I then had ver1.5 with "Teatimer".
Finally they declared my PC "clean", though it was still acting a bit strange.
I then decided to swap Windows firewall for the Sunbelt one, That's when it began to kick off.
I went to the Sunbelt helpdesk and after 40 odd e-mails, they asked me to do a system report, all went well till the finalisation of the report, when it hung, and I had to "End Task".
The report was of course corrupt, Sunbelt said try in safe mode, but this was the same, and they then said there was obviously something else going on in my PC and I should get help!

Back to a-Squared.
2 more weeks of poking and prodding led to a factory re-set, …back to November 2003!!
It was a rocky road back to the present day, Install SP2, A whole herd of obstinate updates that took me 20 hrs at a stretch to encourage them all to install.
I installed AVG Free anti virus, from a disk, and attempted to talk to my router.
No chance!….10 long days without contact with the world.

Happy co-incidence, this months PC Advisor had an article in that was the answer!
Force the system to release the old IP address, and create a new one! Magic.
That was the only bit of luck I've had in 6 weeks!
At least I was back online, albeit with IE6, but then it started again, random freezes are still happening.

despite the length of this posting, (and thankyou for having the patience to read it all!) there's more, I'll post a link to the thread at a-Squared in case there is some detail there that may be helpful: -

My thread at a-Squared
(Start reading from my post of 20th February)

Because that may cause a freeze, and loose all this labouriously typed litany, I'll post this, and edit it with the link later!

six-h
Chewy ! No, My PC totally ignored the ISO disk, it didn't even spin up till the windows loading screen was half done! strange though, It recognised the Restore disk when I did the factory re-set! six-h
when I am trying to boot to a cd, I go into bios and insert the cd when I am there, after making sure that bios is set to boot to the cd-rom first Save and exit/reboot Now here's the tricky part, you have to watch for a prompt to boot to cd Making the iso is also a problem, you have to tell your burning software that's what it's burning, otherwise you may end up with a data disk not a bootable one After seeing your threads I decided you need to eliminate memory or hard drive problems first before looking for software conflicts If you had tested more right after doing your clean install and everything was fine then I would look for software conflicts Unfortunately borderline hardware problems don't always surface until later
Hi chewy

I've only just noticed this posting, I don't understand what's going on.
I don't seem to get e-mail notifications of all postings.

Regarding the Memtest disk that I burned, if I open it whilst in windows, it shows as an "ISO" disk, so it should be recognised on bootup automatically, as my BIOS are set to : -
1st boot : - CD ROM
2nd boot : - HDD 0
3rd boot : - Card Reader (set to "Disabled")
Boot other device (set to "Enabled")

That seems to be working OK, since I Booted into the "Recovery Disk" to do the factory reset.
I must admit though, I did think that it had been ignored, since the CD ROM didn't even spin up until the usual "Windows Loading" screen appeared, then the "options" screen of the Disk showed!

I might try again following your instructions after Easter, since if it goes Mammaries Aloft, at least, there will be folk around to help me then!!

six-h
my old memtest cd has one folder called boot on it and inside that a BOOT.CAT and MEMTEST.IMG if your cd shows iso then you have a data cd not a boot cd please advise you can use my assistant and track your last 10 posts here
Hi chewy
You're right!
My Acronis bootable CD (created in Acronis' own software) has a folder "Recovery Manager",
Inside are several files,
Bootmenu.exe
bootwis.sys
f11.cfg
Kernal.dat
Mouse.com
Ramdisk.dat

But the Memtest "Bootable" disk (created in Nero) only has one folder "Memtest86+-2.01.iso
inside is a file of the same name, clicking it opens Nero, preceded by a "Compatibility issue" warning
between Nero Burning ROM, and "this version of Windows"

I had earlier contacted Nero, 'cos the link in this warning window only took you to their site homepage, with no mention of the required update.
They replied last week with a direct link: -
link to Nero update
I've not yet downloaded it, since I'm not sure if I only need the default 1st option, or any of the others as well!

you can use my assistant and track your last 10 posts here

Sorry, don't follow the significance of this!

six-h
you made a data cd

"Memtest86+-2.01.iso


with nero express you would chose burn disk image

with nero, burn image under the recorder tab
No!
I used Nero smart start, and selected "Burn a Bootable CD"

suspect the "compatibility issue" is the cause of this failure.

six-h
nero smart start took me to the option to make a custom boot cd with floppy emulation, that has already been done by the memtest authors
Mine takes me to Nero Burning ROM with the "New Compilation" window open, and the "Boot tab" already selected.

If I download the update that I've given you the link to, would you advise only downloading the First option, or are some of the others needed??

six-h
under nero burning rom select the recorder from the top toolbar, burn image

older versions of nero worked fine for cd iso burning
Still get the conflict warning on opening Nero Burning ROM.
I think I need to download one of the updates to correct that before trying to burn another coaster!


six-h
Are we not going off at a tangent here?

Rather than downloading completely new burning software,
why not apply one of the proffered Nero updates??

six-h

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI