This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Can't Remove Trojan / Adware

91 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The problem is that I can't see anything that I can identify as malware in any of the logs that i've looked at. While this doesn't rule out a malicious cause at the root of your problem, there is a chance that this isn't a malware issue. Did the installation of SP2 coincide with the speed issues on your PC, and has you anti-virus stopped detecting anything malicious when you scan?
No the speed was fine after reinstalling and up until I got the adware infection………..when I scan with Windows Defender or Spybot, no infections are detected………..when I scan with Spyware Doctor, it tells me that I have 7 infections of Adware.WinFixer….5 Registry Value….2 Registry Key…….I don't want to purchase the Spyware Doctor to remove the threats as I believe that I received this infection to begin with from someone/something that gave me the virus for the sole purpose of buying Spware Doctor (this is what I was directed to when clicking on the pop ups to clean my system)…….and I don't think it will do anything to benefit the situation once I have paid. ….any thoughts?……….Thank you again for all of your assistance.
Can you list EXACTLY what is being detected - the key names rather than the general infection names. These keys are probably leftovers from the original infection and pose no risk, but it's good housekeeping to remove them. It is important to get these detections right as incorrectly editing the registry can do terrible things to a PC - even render it unbootable.
As to Spyware Doctor being at the root of your troubles, i'd be a little surprised - as far as i'm aware the company is legit: http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/ I'm assuming that this is the product you are referring to?
Hi Noviciate - Please see the below info and let me know if it is helpful information?….I also included the links to the scan reports that you will hopefully be able to view…..Thank you again for all of your time and assistance!

http://www.threatexpert.com/reports.aspx?f…Adware.WinFixer

File MD5: 0xE24E47605A06155CFF1990D942BD3D8F
Filesize: 53,464 bytes
Alias: not-a-virus:Downloader.Win32.Agent.d [Kaspersky Lab], Winfixer [McAfee], TROJ_Generic [Trend Micro]

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?ui…ce-5f7c114c3f43

File MD5: 0x7C3FC26E910C614469A7162CF4839FC5
Filesize: 42,496 bytes
Alias: Trojan-Downloader.Banload!sd5 [PCTools], Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Banload.sk [Kaspersky Lab], Downloader [Symantec], Downloader-ABU [McAfee], TROJ_DLOADER.CAU [Trend Micro]

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?ui…84-541f778e0df8

File MD5: 0x87B05E592F631A94AD9256553CF1773E
Filesize: 118,804 bytes
http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?ui…44e552711Alias: Adware.Voghp [PCTools], not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.BHO.v [Kaspersky Lab], Trackware.SearchTerms [Symantec], Adware-Click [McAfee]

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?ui…a3-9037cb065ae4

File MD5: 0x5CBD976DDA7B4EEBE0E53B668237D19A
Filesize: 118,804 bytes
Alias: Adware.Voghp [PCTools], not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.BHO.v [Kaspersky Lab], Trackware.SearchTerms [Symantec], Adware-Click [McAfee]

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?ui…a1-023031f09977

File MD5: 0x1C2115DED6732BA894E1917FC2F0D62C
Filesize: 118,804 bytes
Alias: Adware.Voghp [PCTools], not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.BHO.v [Kaspersky Lab], Adware-Click [McAfee]

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?ui…d6-b7944e552711

File MD5: 0x6D624FB567AADBBD3129A2459DDE745C
Filesize: 118,804 bytes
Alias: Adware.Voghp [PCTools], not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.BHO.v [Kaspersky Lab], Trackware.SearchTerms [Symantec], Adware-Click [McAfee]

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?ui…73-a8c4d8800ae5

File MD5: 0xAB9E7C70AAACA67E68DB0642F9F89F7E
Filesize: 118,804 bytes
Alias: Adware.WinFixer [PCTools], not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.BHO.v [Kaspersky Lab], Trackware.SearchTerms [Symantec], Adware-Click [McAfee]

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?ui…5c-07d24be1adfc
I'm afraid that the information you've posted is of very limited use.

when I scan with Spyware Doctor, it tells me that I have 7 infections of Adware.WinFixer….5 Registry Value….2 Registry Key…….

You said that there were 7 registry items detected - can you tell me what they are - I assume that Spyware Doctor lists them by key name and value rather than by names such as not-a-virus:Downloader.Win32.Agent.d.
As an example: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is a registry key.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI