This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] COmpuetr Infected with Spyware

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Good afternoon to all. This is my first time ever joining a forum but I am at a loss as to what to do. Mt comuter, a 3 year old Dell, running Windows XP, protected by Norton 360, is infected with a spyware virus that causes the following to occur: a flashing red X in the bottom right tool bar, followed by a dialog box in the middle of my screen stating my computer is infected by a win32 netsky virus. I then get a dialog box asking of I want to remove the virus by running a spyware removal program. I also get a dialog box stating an attempt to access the internet was noted. Next I begin getting internet screens popping up (sometimes up to 15)randomly for ucleaner.com, for trusted virus remoavel.com, free scans begin stating there are viruses such as Trojan Horse, etc.. infecting my computer, etc.. I also went to my Control Panel, Internet Options, and removed homepage settings of http://safewarereferral.com/ and then enetred apply which did not work. Lastly, I do not know how to print the logs referred to in this forum so any help there would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Tigger51
Hello gizmothedog and welcome to the What the Tech Forums

My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your problem.


Download HijackThis from Here .
  • Choose the default location of C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis as the destination. HJT needs to be in its own folder so that the program itself isn't deleted by accident. Having the backups could be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!
  • Click the Install button.
  • Accept the license agreement .
  • Click Do a system scan and save a log file. A Notepad file will open.
  • Select all the text by hitting the [Ctrl+A] keys, then copy your selection to the clipboard by pressing the [Ctrl+C] keys.
  • Paste the log into this thread by hitting the [Ctrl+V] keys.
  • when you click Save Log) (Ctrl-A to'select all', Ctrl-C to 'copy')
  • POST the log into this thread using 'Add Reply' (Ctrl-V to 'paste')


DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS MOST OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO THE FUNCTION OF YOUR COMPUTER

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI