(note to moderator: I hope this isn't a duplicate of someone else's post and that it is in the appropriate forum. If it is a duplicate or it's in the wrong place, I ask for mercy in advance!)
Lately, the free version of ZoneAlarm has been telling me that I needed to update it. It might have said "critical".
I've also noticed that the free version of ZoneAlarm asks a lot of questions, and I HOPE the purchasable product version of ZoneAlarm is smarter, will have a larger database and will be less annoying. I'm only talking about the Firewall portion of ZoneAlarm's products. I use a different anti-virus program and I plan to keep it.
I'm talking about the firewall product at
ZoneAlarm products
I've turned off ZoneAlarm, turned on Windows Vista's firewall, uninstalled ZoneAlarm and rebooted.
Any recommendations or thoughts about ZoneAlarm for Vista?
Here's my technical info:
Dell Inspiron 1420 running Windows Vista Home Premium (a laptop)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80 GHz
RAM: 2038 MB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System
Hi,
I have installed the free (for non business use) of Zone Alarm for a number of folks who are running Windows Vista. There have been no problems, with any of them so far.
For the free version of Zone Alarm that is compatible with Windows Vista you can go here:
There are lots of firewalls available, so its really a case of seeing what you are most comfortable with and what features are important to you.
I would strongy recommend an independent 2 way software firewall be installed on any laptop computer, however a lot of folks, who have a desktop computer only, are reasonably sanguine about not using an independent 2 way software firewall if they are operating from behind a hardware firewall (such as the ones integral with a lot of ADSL wireless Router/Gateway/Access points.
The integral Windows firewall, has, (in Vista) the facility to block both incoming and outgoing traffic, but setting it up to block outgoing is not enabled by default.
Regards
paws
I have Zone Alarm (free) on both my Vista Ultimate and Business. It's compatible
One thing, if you do install it, be sure to uncheck "ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker toolbar". This Toolbar uses the AskJeeves/Ask.com search engine, which is not desirable to those of us who fight 'slimeware'.
I would strongy recommend an independent 2 way software firewall be installed on any laptop computer, however a lot of folks, who have a desktop computer only, are reasonably sanguine about not using an independent 2 way software firewall if they are operating from behind a hardware firewall (such as the ones integral with a lot of ADSL wireless Router/Gateway/Access points.
The integral Windows firewall, has, (in Vista) the facility to block both incoming and outgoing traffic, but setting it up to block outgoing is not enabled by default.
Regards
paws
What's an independent 2 way software firewall?
I have a Cisco linksys wireless router ("G", I think).
Its basically what we have been discussing
A 2 way or bi directional firewall (operating in software)
1 Independent, as it's provided not by the Microsoft Windows operating system, but by another firm such as the developers of Zone Alarm
2 bi directional, or (2way) as it is able to block both incoming AND outgoing traffic
3 Software, as it is made from "software code" rather than hardware (printed circuit boards, transistors capacitors etc)
I hope this helps but please post back if you need further clarification.
Regards
paws
I happen to be working for Zone Alarm right now and for those interested in purchasing the ZA Security Suite we are currently offering a $20 discount for your purchase. You can get it at http://sweeps.zonealarm.com by clicking on the box in the upper right corner.
Thanks again!
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI