Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Ubuntu XP dual boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 coffeemetalcode

coffeemetalcode

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Music, Metal, Web Development, Baseball, Linux

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:17 AM

In about a month or two, I'm planning major overhaul on my work computers. I'm planning to set up a Windows XP and Ubuntu partition on both a Compaq desktop and laptop. The desktop involves installing a new hard drive and on both machines I'll be performing a fresh install of XP and then Ubuntu Studio. I'd like to have all my ducks in a row and I have a few questions going forward. This is uncharted territory for me.

• Will folders in my XP partition be accessible from within Ubuntu and vice versa? It would be convenient for things like business records to be able to access them at any time, regardless of the the current OS in use.
  • What about networking? Can I set it up in a manner so that I can access a shared folder from either OS, regardless of the current OS of the computer containing the shared folder? (This doesen't sound feasible to me, but I thought I'd ask anyway.)
  • I'm about to go research this on my own, but if anyone knows off hand...Since my Desktop XP software is pre-SP1, is there any place from which I may be able to download a disk image for SP1 and even SP2? This could avoid hours of downloading and istalling through Windows Update.
Big thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and respond to this post.

Davd

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tonka001

tonka001

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

In about a month or two, I'm planning major overhaul on my work computers. I'm planning to set up a Windows XP and Ubuntu partition on both a Compaq desktop and laptop. The desktop involves installing a new hard drive and on both machines I'll be performing a fresh install of XP and then Ubuntu Studio. I'd like to have all my ducks in a row and I have a few questions going forward. This is uncharted territory for me.

• Will folders in my XP partition be accessible from within Ubuntu and vice versa? It would be convenient for things like business records to be able to access them at any time, regardless of the the current OS in use.
  • What about networking? Can I set it up in a manner so that I can access a shared folder from either OS, regardless of the current OS of the computer containing the shared folder? (This doesen't sound feasible to me, but I thought I'd ask anyway.)
  • I'm about to go research this on my own, but if anyone knows off hand...Since my Desktop XP software is pre-SP1, is there any place from which I may be able to download a disk image for SP1 and even SP2? This could avoid hours of downloading and istalling through Windows Update.
Big thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and respond to this post.

Davd

Hi David,
I'll do my best to answer some of your questions. I have setup and duel booted Linux a few times. I haven't done so in some time though.

I wouldn't do both machines untill your comfortable with the duel boot process and understand how they can and can't interact with eachother.

Normally Linux (Ubuntu) will see your windows partition and you will be able to access those files, Windows will not see the linux partition.
For a "shared" folder, with just the one or two computers it won't work because of windows not playing nice with linux. But if you have a server or another computer on the same network then Samba (linux app) would let you share files, printers, etc between windows and linux.

As far as the SP1 or SP2 disk image, I have no clue for you on that one.

I hope that lends some information for you project.

Once I get some more free time I plan on getting back into linux, there are so man things that can be done with it.

adavis

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:25 AM

Hi,
Following adavis's excellent advice, here's some thoughts and information on creating a Windows SP 2 installation disc that you may find useful. The practice of making such a disc is often called "slipstraeaming SP2" so your trusty search engine should also be able to help.

Here's a link that gives you details
http://www.theelderg...ed_xpsp2_cd.htm
and here's a link to using Autostreamer (very popular)
http://www.simplygui...ostreamer.shtml
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 coffeemetalcode

coffeemetalcode

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

Thanks, adavis, for the helpful information. This gets me pointed in the right direction with regard to the functionality of two dual-boot systems. I too am enjyoing the functionality and stability of Linux. In fact, I haven't booted my XP desktop machine in about 2 weeks, other than to retrieve files. Paws, those are really useful links, thanks. I'm assuming that if I make an XP SP2 disk, then I won't need to bother with SP1 and the related patches and updates. Is this correct? Does SP2 include everything in SP1 (that is not replaced by something else in SP2)? For my Desktop system, my XP Home Edition disk is pre-SP1. The laptop OS is XP Home Edition SP1, so it looks like I'll be doing this twice. Thanks again, Dave

#5 coffeemetalcode

coffeemetalcode

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:26 AM

also... The disks that originally came with these computers are of the "System Restore" variety and they came pre-loaded with XP. However, each system did come also with a disk labeled "Operating System CD." I'm assuming it is this disk that will be used to make the SP2 disk, and that it will work. Is that correct? I haven't be the victim of some OEM chicanery?

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

Hi notesetter,
Yes, everything you need will be on your brand new shiny slipstreamed XP SP 2 disc...once you have made the disc you can put the other stuff back in the cupboard.

You can use this disc on both your machines, providing they are both running on XP Home no need to do two separate ones (although it's not a bad idea to make one disc, try it to make sure it works correctly and then copy it and put the copy back in the cupboard just in case you damage the first one!

You can probably use the discs you mention but I always prefer to use the Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Home edition SP1 or SP1A as the source for the Windows files...but its up to you! ( dont try to use a version without a Service Pack at all on it!)

The important thing when using the disc to install Windows, is that you must have a valid licence, including the product licence key for EACH machine that you intend to load windows on. You should be OK here as if you look at the case of each machine you should see a COA (Certicate of Authenticity) and the Product key no. affixed to each of them...The COA will also confirm the exact version of Windows XP you have installed so you can borrow the correct disc to make your slipstreamed one (if you want!)
Regards
and good luck
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 Missouri Mobile

Missouri Mobile

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:production. and by production i mean producing things... music, art, websites, movies, videos, tutorials, computers, results...

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

One option that I noticed that was not suggested is using Wubi... Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows application. After installation you will restart the computer and when the computer boots you will notice a new option to choose between Ubuntu and XP... If you get tired of Ubuntu you can go into Add/Remove programs in XP and uninstall Ubuntu just as you would any other application... I have done this setup many times and it is very easy... You do not have to worry about partitions or messing up your existing operating system installations... Check it out at www.wubi-installer.org Thanks, Missouri Mobile
.:BACK:UP:YOUR:DATA:. Missouri Mobile - Online 25/8 - Bridging Imagination and Computing