This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HELP ME

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Okay I have just downloaded Windows Live OneCare Family Safety and it makes my computer freeze and crash and everything and it also blocks a bit too much. Anyways my point is I really want to get rid of it so I went to the file fsssvc.exe to delete it and it says access is denied. I just want to know how the heck I can get rid of this software. P.S. Sorry if I wasn't specific enough, I'm not very smart when it comes to computers…
Hello spicybunz,

Welcome to What The Tech. :thumbup:

I am sorry you are having problems with Windows Live OneCare Family Safety.

Is it showing in your Add and Remove?

Please go to start, then click on settings, control panel, click on Add and Remove then scroll down to check. You should always uninstall through Add and Remove.

Here is a good link for you to follow when posting on this forum.

Please post back to update us and also to give us information about your Mainenance program. ie, what Antivirus and Antispyware you have installed? are the definitions up to date.

kind regards, :)
Okay wait I just found a website where I got the instructions. I have got rid of the files in add or remove and I also deleted my settings on the windows live onecare website. NOW… all my internet browsers on my PC which had onecare won't work. I have to use my laptop to go on the internet browser though my programs like Limewire, Messenger, etc. can all connect. Something is stopping me from using the internet and I know it has to do something with onecare… :pullhair:
Hello spicybunz,

Please follow the suggestions below and post back to tell us if your problem is solved.

Another suggestion after you run the sfc scan (if that does not help) is to try Systems Restore. Go to start, then click on programs, accessories, system tools, system restore and follow the prompts.

king regards,


Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
Had the same drama, I don't think one care likes XP somehow, ended up having to reinstall the whole deal. Got trend micro now, much better Blessings Miykle
Seems to me the best thing to do is contact Microsoft and let them help you fix it since it's their software that is causing the problem. If they don't get any feedback they don't have a chance to fix anything.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI