This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Explorer won't run, have had 3 blue screens.

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone
I hope someone will be able to help me because I am out of my depth here. A couple of weeks ago my anti-virus software picked up a problem on my pc which I think I resolved. I went into the hijackthis forum and they checked things out for me and pronounced my machine clean. 6 days after I think I got rid of my problem the anti-virus software started to have a problem reading 3 files in the windows directory. I ran this past the malware guy and he said it was not significant. However, since this problem started, with increasing frequency, Explorer kept stopping with an error and now I cannot run it at all (so I can't move or delete any files). Also my computer has crashed out 3 times with a blue screen. Unfortunately the machine reboots itself before I can read the error messages.

The files which AVG has a problem with are:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll - reading error
C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll - reading error
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe - reading error

Any help will be gratefully received.
Thanks

ps: I have run a pcpitstop as you recommend in other posts. The link is
TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=6WEASW81CZGSQTMG
Jo
Hi Artemesia',

I see you have had your machine cleared by LDTate only yesterday from Malware. Good work.

Please follow the Customised Tune Up Tips at the top of your Summary page of your PCPitstop test except Update Outdated Device Drivers. Click on each tip and follow the instructions given.

When you have finished, post a new PCPitstop test back here for us to give you further help if you need it.

kind regards,
Hi Tallin,
I've done as much as I can of the recommended actions and re-run pcpitstop. I haven't bought any extra memory yet. My D: drive does have write cache enabled. Poor performance on this drive does not really matter. It has music and photos on it as well as back ups of important files and software. Noting actually runs on it. Link is:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=6WEASW81CZGSRDMG

On my virus scan I still had the errors reported in the 3 windows files. My computer has not crashed, however, in the last 24 hours, neither has the explorer program. Today, it was Windows Media Player that would not run.

Thanks.
Hello Artemesia,

Okay, your machine is looking much better, a good system so very important to get things right for you. I understand about D:\Drive.

Here are a couple of recommendations I would suggest.

1) I would do a sfc scan to see that all your OS files are correct and in the right place. To do this I suggest you please follow the instructions below.

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

There will be no report to read on completion of the scan, just reboot after it is completed. HERE is a link to explain to you what sfc does.

2) I would download to your desktop AVG 7.5 latest virus software, disconnect from the Internet, actually disconnect the cable from your modem or router so you can be absolutely sure you have no internet connection. Then uninstall through Add and Remove the existing AVG (I suspect it could be corrupted at this stage). and install the new AVG download sitting on your desktop. You will then need to go back and connect to the internet to update all the definitions to bring the software up to date. Run it and see how you go.
__________

Regarding your Pitstop test, here is a list of what I suggest you do.

3) Go to Add and Remove and uninstall all outdated Java Runtime Environment x2 or anything related to Java Runtime. Then download and install from this link the latest Java Runtime 6, update 4.
__________

4) You have two HJT installations in your Add and Remove, please uninstall one of them. Here is a link that is interesting reading regarding HJT software.
__________

5) You have three Media Players on your machine.

1) Windows Media Player. I would retain it.
2) Realplayer. A resource hogger that I would not have on my machine.
3) Olympus Digital Waveplayer. Which I am not familiar with, however if you do not use it, uninstall it.
__________

If you do not use the Speech Option in start > settings >control panel > Regional and Language > language tab > details > put a tick in advanced text services > apply > okay. This is mostly an unnecessary startup item that is not needed.
__________

Post back and let us know how you are progressing and if you need any questions answered. We are very happy to help you further if needed.

kind regards,
Hello Tallin,
Thanks for your reply. I won't be able to do anything now as it's almost midnight but while you are up perhaps I could just check some things.

My windows installation disk only has Service Pack 1a on it - I've had it for a few years. I don't actually know anyone who is likely to have a more recent version - or at least anyone that will know what I am talking about when I ask them. How important is it to have a disk with SP2 on it? The only place I can think where they might have one is with the techie guys at university and I can't see them lending them out. If I can't get a disk, how complicated are the work-rounds?

Another question is why do you think that AVG could be corrupt and is that why it is reporting these errors?

Sorry to ask what may be stupid questions but I like to understand things.

Thanks for your help.
Regards

p.s. … I have found a site on the net here http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html which explains how to use scannow - are the steps they talk about on there the workrounds you mention in your post?
Hi Again,

Sorry I have missed you before you went off to bed. Never mind, this will be here for you in the AM.

Yes that link you gave me is exactly the same as I have so follow the work arounds if you cannot borrow a CD.

How did you get SP/2 if you have not got the CD? Perhaps you got it from here

Yes, you will need a CD of your OS to run sfc. Are you sure it is a genuine copy of XP/SP2 and it is validated.

I am not for a moment implying you have a pirated version of Windows, but unless it is validated nothing much works for you when seeking help here on WTT.

If you are at University, surely someone would lend you a Windows XP/SP2 CD to run the scan. Try them as you will do no harm to it, just explain what you want to do with it.

'Artemesia' no questions are stupid, we are here to help you to achieve the smooth running of your PC, so ask away and I will try to guide you to a successful end.

Another question is why do you think that AVG could be corrupt and is that why it is reporting these errors?

To answer the above in quotes, I am just suspicious of your AVG installation so it will not hurt to reinstall it. Tell us how your computer is performing in your next reply.

kind regards, :)
Create a new XP CD slipstreamed with SP2.

The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP2 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP2 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this also.

Here is the link to Autostreamer:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-…ostreamer.shtml

You can download the SP2 .exe here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
Hi Tallin I have a genuine XP OS disk with SP1. I downloaded SP2 from the microsoft site. It is definitely valid - it has been through that on-line verification thing of Microsoft. I will try at uni to see if anyone can let me have the disk, if not I shalll use Ztruker's suggestion. Thanks to both of you. I will be in touch when I have carried out all the steps. Bye.
Hi Artemesia,

Really pleased you have verified your OS and hope you are able to borrow a CD for the SFC scan.

Ztruker's post is excellent, but if you can borrow a CD that is so much easier for you to complete the test.

Please post back to let us know how you go.

kind regards,
__________________
A further suggestion if you cannot borrow a CD which is quite permissible for an SFC scan is to follow below:

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.
Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: LINK and take a moment to familiarize yourself with the program and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC. If you go here LINK you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.
______________

System Restore Point facility

Go to:
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
follow the onscreen directions.
Try to put your system back to a date before your troubles started.
see how you go.
Note 1 using this facility will normally preserve documents and data created by you in your My Documents folder, but some data files left on the desktop for example are at severe risk of being lost. For this reason it is recommended that before doing anything at all, you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, its worth updating it now.)

Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Note 2 It is always important to have System Restore, protecting your boot drive (usually Drive C:) unless your trusted adviser specifically recommends turning it off for a short while.
Hi Tallin, I have done everything you suggested in your post: 1) I have run scannow. I created a new XP boot disk by slipstreaming SP2 onto my version of XP. 2) I removed AVG and re-installed another version I downloaded first. 3) I installed the latest java. 4) Removed one of the HJT versions 5) Removed realplayer 6) unchecked the speech option thing. I have removed all the software and files created by the slipstreaming exercise. I ran a complete virus check and the errors which were coming up in the windows files no longer appear. I am still having the odd problem where explorer crashes but I shall monitor it and if it continues to be a problem you may see me on here again. Thanks to you and to Ztrucker for your help. Bye! :notworthy:
Hi again Artemesia',

Good work, well done with all the work you have achieved on your system.

Here is a link that may help with your Explorer randomly giving you trouble.

Various other links if that one does not work for you.

Feel free to post back to let us know how you go.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI