This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] My Hijack log

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yes, I did uninstall and reinstall Adobe FlashPlayer and so far yesterday and today I haven't had the warnings from IE or Firefox. The pages are still loading strangely, rather laggy and showing the frames before the actual pictures or buttons, but it's not aggravating and they do load completely. I did get a window today saying: "System has detected an IP address conflict with another system on network…" Not sure what that was about. We have a router with 3 computers hooked up, but don't usually have a problem and that's the first time I've ever seen that. I was running Ad-Aware 2007 on my husband's laptop at the time, and trying to find the settings on his firewall, so maybe that had something to do with it? Anyway……. Thank you for your help in weeding out any potential problems. It seems you've been very thorough and patient and I appreciate that. I will make a donation to this site because I appreciate your time. :) Becky
Good job :thumbup:

  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

    • [external image: Posted Image]


    Here's my usual all clean post

    Log looks good :D


    You need to create a new Clean restore point.

    Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

    Click Start Menu > Run > copy and paste

    %SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

    Press OK. Choose Create a Restore Point then click Next. Name it (something you'll remember) and click Create, when the confirmation screen shows the restore point has been created click Close.

    Double-click My Computer.
    Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
    Click the View tab.
    Check "Hide file extensions for known file types."
    Under the "Hidden files" folder, Uncheck "Show hidden files and folders."
    Check "Hide protected operating system files."
    Click Apply, and then click OK.

    • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
      • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
      • Click once on the Security tab
      • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
      • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week
    (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

  • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer.
    Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over.
    I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients.
    Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

    For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:
    Note: I no longer suggest Zone Alarm

    Understanding and Using Firewalls

  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly.
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
    If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site
    until there are no more critical updates.

  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer
    settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

  • IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

    Using IE-SPYAD to help block unwanted sites and activities

  • Winpatrol


  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly.
    Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Only run one Anti-Virus and Firewall program.

I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein
Just to let you know, when I try to do the Clean Restore point, "%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe I get the message C:\WINDOWS\system32\restore is not accessible. This folder was moved or removed. Otherwise I'm doing the other things you suggest, although for some reason I didn't think I need a firewall if I use a router.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer. Click Properties. Click the System Restore tab. Remove the Check Turn off System Restore. Click Apply, and then click OK.
There is no System Restore tab under Properties under My Computer. Only the tabs: General, Network Identification, Hardware, User Profiles, Advanced. Sorry.

There is no System Restore tab under Properties under My Computer.
Only the tabs: General, Network Identification, Hardware, User Profiles, Advanced.
Sorry.

Do you have administrator rights under you're user name?
This is my son's old computer, but when I log on I still use his name and password so I think so. I don't know enough about this to be able to answer your question undoubtedly. My son just said all users have administrative rights, so I do have them. :unsure:
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI