Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

ActiveX or Java Applet?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LDDI

LDDI

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

I've been tasked to program a game for my company. Now, while the programming will be relatively straight forward, I'm having a bit of trouble choosing between the two. On the one hand, ActiveX will be easier to get up as all I'll need to do is make a few modifications to my existing code (written in C++). The only problem is that with the growing number of FireFox users (myself included) such might not be the best idea. It is true that IE Tab would easily address this problem, I run in to the next issue of having to have users install IE Tab. A Java Applet on the other hand would be more universal, but as I have only begun to dabble with it, I'm not too sure about it's capabilities. Any suggestions?
=== I'm an English teacher from the third world. I therefore reserve the right to speak English in the third person.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

Hi LakanDavidDInoce...
I would hate to provide an unfriendly answer to your question, but really this forum is more for home and personal use and is not designed to supplement or replace your company's IT dept (see the Terms of Use by going here:)
http://forums.whatth...boardrules.html
The second of the bulleted rules seems to cover it.
However perhaps one of our "regulars" may be inclined to share a little outline advice?
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 LDDI

LDDI

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Ah, but of course, that was most brash of me. I offer my most sincere apologies, I must have missed that part while reading. Thanks for the heads up. Who should I see to have this topic closed or removed? Thanks again.
=== I'm an English teacher from the third world. I therefore reserve the right to speak English in the third person.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

Hi LakanDavidDInocencio, Paws is absolutely correct, as usual. :thumbup: And rather civil in his manner as well. <-- I like that guy! However, I'm not inclined to banish your intellectual curiosity and learning. :D It could be an interesting topic for others as well. We just won't be doing your homework for you, nor adding to your profit margin either. B) Let's see where this goes. You already demonstrate that you are willing to respect the TOU (by inquiring about any need to close/remove the topic) If you have an available IT department... use them, not us. If your company is in the business of creating this project for sale, then it's probably a no-no as well. But I sincerely doubt that a dedicated game authoring company would need to be asking about browser preferences. Keep it on the tech side and academic in nature, and we might make some headway. Do you have other observations beyond the matter of Browser compatibility? Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 LDDI

LDDI

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

Thank you for the consideration, I wouldn’t want to impose on anyone though. To answer your question, we’re actually more of an educational company, similar to a school if you will. The game isn’t design to be a real game per se, but more of a little thing to play around with on the web site. A quick little attraction so to speak. Sad to say, there is no actual IT team so it falls upon the English teacher who happens to know a bit about working with computers. Ah well, life goes on, hehe. Now that I've had some time to consider the pros and cons of each, I've decided to slap myself. The problem would be much more easily solved using neither of the two but Flash instead. Hehe, well, that's what I get for not thinking things through. Thank you again for your patience.

#6 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

Best of Luck to you LakanDavidDInocencio.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#7 brandon99337

brandon99337

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

Just in case you still wanted to know...a java applet (especially if you've just begun tampering with it) would take much longer to make. They can have OK graphics (nothing near ActiveX) but any bigger programs than a ball moving across the screen to the tune of a circus song take very long to make/learn how to make. Hope this helps! brandon99337