This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sluggish PC- Need suggestions on disabling services

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thanks Ztruker Though it appears to be a time consuming task :) I shall post the feedback here once I get the time to go through the process…
Go Start Go to Run Type in MSCONFIG Make sure it is on selective startup Check the Startup tab Uncheck any unnecessary programs since these all start up the same time that windows does. This will help speed you up. Also if you go to Start Go to Run Type in Services.MSC This way you can turn off extra services (like windows messager) which can slow you down. I hope this was helpful, let me know.

Go Start
Go to Run
Type in MSCONFIG
Make sure it is on selective startup
Check the Startup tab
Uncheck any unnecessary programs since these all start up the same time that windows does.
This will help speed you up.

Also if you go to Start
Go to Run
Type in Services.MSC
This way you can turn off extra services (like windows messager) which can slow you down.

I hope this was helpful, let me know.


I have did these all (except for the services, which is incidentally my main question), you should have read my posts in this thread more carefully ;)

Thanks for your suggestion though….:)
While in msconfig, Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft Services box, then click on Disable all. See how the machine behaves now.

If improved, use msconfig to enable services a few at a time, rebooting and checking performance till you find the culprit.

As for a general "Turn off this service" suggestion, I would look at Black Viper's web site for assistance.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI