The only program that I am running right now is Firefox but the Comodo Firewall Pro reports that 30 yes 30 programs are active and running in the memory.
Please:
1. How can I find which programs are running without my knowledge.
2. What should I do about these programs?
I am already using start up lite to stop too many programs starting at boot time.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Only 30? I have 43 - and that's only what's showing. And you are definitely running more than just Comodo and FF as Windows itself consists of many components.
Look in Task Manager. It will list what is running, and from there, enter their name in Google to learn what it does.
I suspect your 30 are all fine. What should you do about them? Nothing. Let them run.
Of course, you do need to make sure your system is clean of malware so here's a link to my canned text on Cleaning Out Malware. Use it if you don't already have a complete security suite and disk cleaning utilities to rid your system of malware and clutter. You can also use it as a guide to build your own security suite, and to help you develop a "Practicing Safe Computing" self-discipline.
Most firewalls can show your outbound connections. I can see that you are using Comodo Firewall (pro?).
Any active outbound connections can be viewed under : Firewall–>View active Connections.
Another way to do this, is using the netlog tool for windows.
1. Goto start
2. Run, type: CMD….Click ok or press enter
3. In the Command-prompt type: netstat -b 4 > netlog.txt
4. press enter
5. wait for a amount of time of your choosing. The netlog tool will register all traffic within that time
6. To stop the tool from writing anymore to the log, press : Ctrl-C
7. To see the log, type within the command-prompt: Netlog.txt
8.Press enter
(This tool will also work in Vista, but heres an extra step. Step 2b: Choose to run it as administrator)
There are some variants on the command running here.
netstat -ba 4 > netlog.txt : This one will add UDP (User datagram Protocol)
netstat -bn 4 > netlog.txt : This will only show IP's
netstat -ban 4 > netlog.txt : A combination of the above.
If one doesn't want the log lying around, simply leave the netlog.txt out of the command.