This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

deleting files in TEMP folder

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a website I go to each day to download the audio "file of the day." When I click on the file the only option I have is to download this file if I want to hear it. Other than that I can't get it. I can see it is downloading to my temporary folder. Each day the file is ranging between 9-25MB's of information. Naturally I want to delete this stuff after I've listened to it rather than have my hard drive all loaded up with it. But I can't find the file. I have Windows 2000. I click START/SEARCH/FILES & FOLDERS and then in the LOOK IN box I select Drive C and type in what I think is the file name and nothing. I go to the DATE box below and click in yesterday's date and today's date and the file still doesn't show up … And I just downloaded it. So what is happening to this file and why can't my SEARCH window find it? How do I find it? Thanks, as always, for any help you can give me.
Hi dconant1, If it is of any consequence, I can't find my temp folder either. :blush: However, don't you get an option to download these music files to your desktop into a folder name of your choosing. I always do this so I don't have to search for what I have just downloaded. Someone else will come by to really help you I am sure, but in the meantime I suggest you set up a folder on your desktop for future downloads and direct the music to that folder. kind regards, :scratch:
dconant1,

This may be more drastic than you need but I use a handy free program called CCleaner that will clean out your whole temp folder as well as cookies, etc. You can get it
here. It has various options that you can check and uncheck depending on how much cr*p you want cleaned. (Which, by the way, is how I believe this program got it's name)

Good Luck
Hi dconant1 :)

If you wanna find all your temp.files via the search feature, maybe this will do the trick.
This is normally intended for windows XP and Vista, but might work with Win2000 aswell.

First, enable all search criteria, subfolders / hidden folders etc.
Then type/paste this in the filename to search for : *.tmp,*.chk,~*.*

This should search for all temp.files currently on your pc, if it works with win2000 that is B)

Regards Abydos
No Tallin - I don't get a choice. That's the wild thing. Usually you get an option to Save or Open. All this window gives is an opportunity to open. I don't even have to click open and away it goes downloading and naturally the audio starts right after the downloading. I'm wondering if this file is actually staying on my computer or not.
I'm concerned about a couple things.

First, since you should ALWAYS scan ALL downloads (and attachments) for malware before opening, you need to do what Tallin suggests and do a "Save as" first, save it to a location you can find, scan for malware, then open.

No Tallin - I don't get a choice. That's the wild thing.

No, that's the dangerous!!!

What is the site?

My advice right now is STOP downloading files from this site - NOW! At least until this is figured out.

Second, when you see it downloading, does it not show the file and folder name?

I agree and recommend the use of CCleaner. It is a great disk cleaning program that is excellent at cleaning the system of 1000s of temporary files, including all history, old logs, Recycle Bin contents, and cache files. During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar. Before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked. To delete all "tracking" cookies, (which I urge you do), you must delete all cookies, so ensure the Cookies setting remains checked. Ensure you know your site credentials (user name and password) for sites you frequent; you will have to login again at next visit.

[TIP: Run CC before malware scans and defragging - no need to scan 1000s of temporary files!]

To go to your "temp" folder, do this:

Open Windows Explorer (double click on My Computer)
In the address bar (if not visible, go to View > Toolbars and selectAddress Bar), enter: %temp% and press the enter key

You can safe delete anything in there - the system will not allow you to delete files in use.
Digerati wrote:

In the address bar (if not visible, go to View > Toolbars and selectAddress Bar), enter: %temp% and press the enter key

Of course I now remember how to do it manually, but your quote above jolted me into action again. I used to do it this way however - start >run > type "%temp%" without the quotes >enter.

thanks for that………….. :thumbup:

Now I use CCleaner or Cleanup 4.5.2

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI