This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

files slow to open

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This problem developed suddenly a few days ago. If I double click on files(DOC, PDF, RAR, etc) or an app shortcut(Word, Acrobat, Winrar, etc.) they take a long time to open - 30 to 60 seconds. If I open an app from the program list it opens fine. If I open a file from the app itself using file/open it opens fine. When opening a file I sometimes get a quick pop-up window saying that windows installer is "preparing to install" but it is so quick I can't see a related application. Using Win XP Pro SP2 and it's up to date. Ran up to date Mcafee Virusscan and Lavasoft Adaware and found nothing significant. Recently defragged. Appreciate any help!
Hi bluesmeister, Does it make a difference if you disable your network connection/unplug your computer from the modem? If it's faster without a network connection, it may be an indication your system is searching for resources external to your own system. Regards, Ax
Ax, disconnecting from the modem solved the problem. Reconnecting made the problem return. Do you know how to stop this? Many thanks. Bluesmeister
Try doing the following:
  • Go into any folder in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer)
  • Click Tools | Folder Options
  • Go to the View tab
  • Uncheck the "Automatically search for network folders and printers" option
  • Click OK
Ax, Did that already - no help. I have no other computer connected to this network but it seems that my computer is looking for files out on the internet somwhere before giving up and opening it locally. Per someone else's sdvice I have used the "netstat" command to try and find out where my computer is looking but I don't know how to interpret the results or use them to resolve the problem. Your continued help is appreciated. Bluesmeister
bluesmeister,
I think at this point I'd be worried about the possibility of Malware. I'd suggest you go Here, follow all the directions and post a log for the Malware experts to look over and see if you have anything "devious" going on.
That would have been my next suggestion as well, Tom beat me to it. When your log is clean, feel free to post back to this thread with any other issues you may be experiencing. Until then, we'll leave it up to the malware experts. Regards, Ax

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI