This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

SLOW RESPONSE

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Perhaps one or two of you folks can offer some suggestions to an issue I seem to be having… Lately Windows seems to be very slow responding .. ie: opening a program, opening Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer used to open up within a second or two at the most. Now it seems to wait about five or even ten seconds before opening… I have done a few checks. 1. My connection speed is well above average 15,000 kbps 2. A full sweep for Spyware, Trojans and viruses with a few programs. (Spysweeper, Spybot, McAfee Virus Scan, A2, Ad-Aware, X-Cleaner, Pest Patrol) I have not installed anything different, and have gone back a few Restore points with the same effect. Is there anything that I am missing or does anyone have this issue and can suggest a solution?? HELP! It's driving me crazy and it is very fustrating… I have Win XP Pro SP 2 fully patched…
How long has it been since that machine had basic maintenance run? Have you changed any "services"? (for instance RPC) Do you have all those AntiSpyware utilities running actively? (Spy Sweeper, x-Cleaner, Pest Patrol)
Done Maint no so long ago. I do not run all the forementioned programs all the time. I use them to "Check and clean" the system weekly… Perhaps I should let someone analize my Hi-jack this log…… I know that I am clean of carp**, something perhaps a setting is slowing this CPU down.. I'll post back with updates but if you think of anything else, please post… Thanks Again WAX
Please go to http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Full Tests" in the left hand column.
You will be asked to register with a valid email address and to create a password.
Takes under 10 minutes to receive the validation email response.
Then go back to http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on Full Tests
You will be asked to accept an ActiveX to allow the Tests to run on your machine. It is safe.
Please Run the Full Tests.
When you receive your Results, the results pages will have various useful information, including suggestions that you can follow for yourself.
Please Copy/Paste the entire TechExpress Link, back into this thread here at TomCoyote.
With that information, we will be better able to give you useful suggestions.

Best Regards
Just to update you on my issue…. It was in fact McAfee that caused the big slowdown. I uninstalled it, purged all traces from my registry, and the fast computer was back and running fast. I went with CA anti-virus and still kept my spysweeper and other helpful programs. Running like a charm… Thanks for your input and help….. One Note: McAfee when they were just virus scan was a real good program and did not hinder the other running programs. Since they went to a "Security suite" I (Not alone) had nothing but problems…..
Hi waxace,

Thanks for following up to tell us how things worked out.

In your first post, you wrote it as "McAfee Virus Scan" and I was already suspicious, what with those others that could also have been running active. Had you written it as "McAfee Suite", that would have been the "show-stopper" right there and then.

I used to be a die hard McAfee user…… back when it was still possible to get their utility for free, and even during the first few iterations of low cost virus scan. I ran it 'til about 1999.

Want to see an excellent comparison/description of the various antiMalware tools?
Our very own LDTate has featured a link to our also well known Little Eagle, here:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=70412

Sounds like you are happy with your machine now, that you describe as "Running like a charm…"
I'm glad.

I will still invite you to take take another look at your machine's current functioning via:
http://www.pcpitstop.com Full Tests It's an excellent tool that we use here with a great sense of collegiality with that site.

Want to see what McAfee looks like when it's running on a low resource machine?
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Windows.asp <—- Just count the number of McAfee entries! :huh:


Your choice about using the Pit Test or not… Let us know.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI