Hardware
Toshiba USB External Drive
3 min read
old_wrinkly
Topic Starter
I have a 300GB (or perhaps it's 320GB) Toshiba USB External Drive which Belarc Advisor shows as WDC WD3200JB-22KFA0.
There is an LED on the front which normally glows blue when power is on and then flashes red when data is being written or retrieved. I have just noticed this isn't working. The drive is working OK so should I be worried?
It's a bit of a pain as I now have to remember to check if the drive is powered up or not as there is no visual indication.
Thanks
tallin
Hello old_wrinkly, [external image: Posted Image]
Hope you enjoy this wonderful forum.
As you have posted a HJT log in the correct forum, please do not change any settings or your system in general until an accredited volunteer analyses your log for you.
Please do not reply to your own log
as it is answered in turn when the volunteers see no replies to it.
If you have had no answer in 5 days, please post a gentle reminder HERE
If after your log is clean and you are advised or need to return here for help, please feel free to do so.
kind regards,
Hope you enjoy this wonderful forum.
As you have posted a HJT log in the correct forum, please do not change any settings or your system in general until an accredited volunteer analyses your log for you.
Please do not reply to your own log
If you have had no answer in 5 days, please post a gentle reminder HERE
If after your log is clean and you are advised or need to return here for help, please feel free to do so.
kind regards,
old_wrinkly
Thanks Tallin, the forum looks really good.
I didn't intend to change any settings etc until I got the HJT query sorted.
However, in the meantime, as it doesn't affect anything, thought I would ask whether the LED failing is something I should be worried about or not. Hopefully, it isn't a precursor to having problems with the drive and just a plain LED failure.
tallin
Hi again old_wrinkly,
Is your machine still under warranty? If it is I would execute that warranty.
I have done research using Google but did not come up with anything worth sending to you. Perhaps try this LINK
It maybe just a start for you to follow through with.
I am sorry I just don't know the answer to your question.
kind regards,
Is your machine still under warranty? If it is I would execute that warranty.
I have done research using Google but did not come up with anything worth sending to you. Perhaps try this LINK
It maybe just a start for you to follow through with.
I am sorry I just don't know the answer to your question.
kind regards,
old_wrinkly
Thanks again.
Unfortunately it's out of warranty.
As I said the drive itself is still working OK so I suppose it's going to have to be a case of "wait and see". If it's just the LED then apart from the inconvenience of not being able to see if it's powered up or, it doesn't matter
Unfortunately it's out of warranty.
As I said the drive itself is still working OK so I suppose it's going to have to be a case of "wait and see". If it's just the LED then apart from the inconvenience of not being able to see if it's powered up or, it doesn't matter
paws
Hi,
It could be something very simple like a bad connection on the internal system board, (often happens if it gets a bash or is dropped!) however if the actual drive is working OK it might be wise to resist the temptation to take a look inside and poke around!
If the drive is not powered up it will not be visible in "My Computer" and if you try to write any data to it (or access from it) you will immediately get an error message, so that will give you a good idea if its powered up or not
Another check (highly sophisticated this one!) is to place you hand or your ear against the top/bottom of the case and mostly you can hear/feel them hum/vibrate.
As you say, its a bit inconvenient, but hopefully you will be able to live with it.
Fortunately there is not usually a correlation between the LED 's failing and the actual Drive failing, so I don't think you need to worry too much, but I'd still make sure that your backup is up to date……Maybe it is your backup……?
Regards
paws
old_wrinkly
Hi,
Another check (highly sophisticated this one!) is to place you hand or your ear against the top/bottom of the case and mostly you can hear/feel them hum/vibrate.
As you say, its a bit inconvenient, but hopefully you will be able to live with it.
Fortunately there is not usually a correlation between the LED 's failing and the actual Drive failing, so I don't think you need to worry too much, but I'd still make sure that your backup is up to date……Maybe it is your backup……?
Regards
paws
Thanks, yes have used the latest high test testing method ie.e hand on top to feel drive rotating.
Yes, it is mainly my backups.
Oh well, fingers crossed!!
paws
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI