Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Free XP Desktop Themes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 coffeemetalcode

coffeemetalcode

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Music, Metal, Web Development, Baseball, Linux

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

Does anyone know where one can obtain adware/spyware free XP Desktop themes? Thanks. Dave

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

Does anyone know where one can obtain adware/spyware free XP Desktop themes?

Thanks.

Dave

Hi notesetter :)

The only place i go for themes, screensavers etc. are Themeworld.com

have tried some, not all, and haven't found anything malicious in any i have tried.
That doesn't mean the possibility aint there, there always the chance of a rotten apple in the basket.

Just be careful when browsing for such things, there are many no no places. If you aint got a site-advisor, get one. They may not be 100% accurate, but one is better none. I personnally just use the Mcafee siteadvisor, but trendmicro.com also have one named
Trend Protect. It doesn't work with Mozilla browser as do Mcafee, but they are working on that. And i'll switch the moment they have the Trend Protect ready for Firefox :D

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#3 Missouri Mobile

Missouri Mobile

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:production. and by production i mean producing things... music, art, websites, movies, videos, tutorials, computers, results...

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

I believe the newest version of AVG also has a site advisor... I seem to remember a freebie out there somewhere called "Vista Transformation Pack" that had a bunch of free applications that can "transform" your XP desktop into a somewhat Vista desktop... It also allowed you to change colors and themes of XP... I have had a couple friends online run it but then complained about system resources being used up so they eventually removed it... Seems like almost any "theme" type of application requires a good amount of system resources. Personally I enjoy the Windows Classic theme. One day I know they will eventually get rid of it, but until then I will continue to rid myself of any brightly colored taskbar or theme... I don't offer any warranties on my advice... I would suggest always testing on a virtual machine or a spare machine if you got one first... and always remember to back up your data before trying anything like this...
.:BACK:UP:YOUR:DATA:. Missouri Mobile - Online 25/8 - Bridging Imagination and Computing

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

I don't offer any warranties on my advice... I would suggest always testing on a virtual machine or a spare machine if you got one first... and always remember to back up your data before trying anything like this...

Very well stated, Missouri Mobile. :thumbup:
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

@ Missouri Mobile,

and always remember to back up your data before trying anything like this...

I couldn't agree more, always stressing this everywhere I post - It is a sorry site when you see folk crying for help with failed HD's with no back up installed.

Myself, I am a great believer in image software and run either Ghost and Acronis on all computers here. It is the best investment one can make when owning a computer I think.

kind regards,

#6 Missouri Mobile

Missouri Mobile

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:production. and by production i mean producing things... music, art, websites, movies, videos, tutorials, computers, results...

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

@ Missouri Mobile,

and always remember to back up your data before trying anything like this...

I couldn't agree more, always stressing this everywhere I post - It is a sorry site when you see folk crying for help with failed HD's with no back up installed.

Myself, I am a great believer in image software and run either Ghost and Acronis on all computers here. It is the best investment one can make when owning a computer I think.

kind regards,

For some users it may be a good option to try out Cloud Computing. Documents are safe if the computer ever crashed. Check out my post on the topic here.
.:BACK:UP:YOUR:DATA:. Missouri Mobile - Online 25/8 - Bridging Imagination and Computing

#7 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

Documents are safe if the computer ever crashed.

That is the whole purpose of Ghost or Acronis, as long as the images are on that all important External Hard Drive.

We all have our own ideas of course, but 'Cloud' did not appeal to me at all to be frank, I had seen it earlier.

kind regards,

#8 Aaron.A

Aaron.A

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

be carefull when looking for these