This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer shuts down eor reboots on its own

45 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,
Problem:
I have a problem where my Computer shuts down or reboots on its own. No warning no error, except for after rebooting, just the simple one minute your doing things on the computer and the next, poof, like a power outage. When it completly shuts down, it is really hard to turn the computer back on. It seems best if you wait a minute, but once your able to power up the computer, everything boots normally. On the other hand, when the computer reboots on its own, which happens more so than the shut down, the computer screen turns black for about a second, and then the name brand of my computer displays, (VAIO), and sits there for about 2 minutes. After a period of time, the computer then continues on its merry way. BUT!!!!, after the computer is loaded to login screen, I have to unplug, from the USB port, my keyboard and mouse remote dongle, and then plug it back in, in order to get my wireless keyboard and mouse to work again.

What I am doing when this happens:
I am not too positive, but it does seem like, when I am running Maya 2008 and Eclipse 3.6.1. Just in case you are not sure what these programs are, Maya 2008 is a 3D Modeling/Animation/Render application, and Eclipse is a Python IDE debugger, I use this to do Maya scripting.

Other possibilities
Prior to this issue, about a 7 months ago, I installed a program, which gave me a graphics driver error, which at first, I thought the error ment I that I should try updating my graphics driver. So, first, tried looking at my manufacture's website, and all they had was the orginal manufactured installed version. So then, I googled "ATI Radeon 9200 drivers download." The weird part was that the search result returned links specifying that this type of graphics card is made for AMD. In fact, if you go to ATI's website, it redirects you to AMD, but my graphics card is an integrated Intel ATI graphics card. In spite of this, I still followed the steps for downloading the 9200 series, installed it, and it seemed fine at first. However, this eventually caused display problems, where the left and right sides of my screen would get distorted, and the middle of the screen be blurry. It started to worsen just prior to installing Eclipse.

What I have done trying to resolve the issue[\b]
With my first issue, the display problem, I decided to just download and reinstall the original Sony Vaio graphics driver version. However, after reboot, I tried openning Maya, and after the splash screen, the whole computer would freeze. From experience, I had a hunch this was a currupted pref folder, which that was the case. The odd part however, why would reinstalling an older graphics driver currupt a folder to another program that has no relationship?

Next, about week later I installed Eclipse. After installing and using the program, I began to notice how fast my memory will drop dramatically over a period of time. Meaning, at the time I open both programs, my memory starts off at about 300MB out of 512MB ram system, and then within about 2 hours, it is down to 22MB. However, I never had a dramatic memory loss prior to installing Eclipse. So I looked at Eclipse website forums, but I did not see anything stating there is a known memory leak issue with Eclipse. In spite of this, I first thought the shut-down/reboot was just a glitch, but then after seeing it happen over and over, every time I run both programs, I began to do some research. First searching about my computer unexpectedly shutting-down/rebooting. I found one topic talking about looking in the event viewer. Doing so, I found several errors.

The lastest one, which my computer had completely shut-down with no warnings Friday night, stated I recieved an
EventID 11: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\D.


Then late Thursday/early Friday morning, another computer reboot, stated i recieved an
EventID 1003: Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bfa8c84d, parameter3 b16bb2ec, parameter4 00000000.
I looked this up, and the Error Code 10000008e has to do with drivers/hardware. If this relates to my graphics driver, I think this event happened after I reinstalled my original graphics driver.

Last, Wednesday evening, computer reboot:
Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x0001295d.
and
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module , version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
note these 2 were with-in seconds of each other.

after looking up these events, piticularly the explorer.exe faulting app., a few links points to discusions to try running sfc scannow. With that, if it finds any protected files being currupted, it would ask for you to put your XP cd in. Even though my computer is a OEM which means it does not come with Windows XP CD, and I have not had the chance to run the Vaio recovery wizard, which creates my computer's recovery backup, I typed the sfc scannow in the run prompt anyways, let it do its job, and afterwards, it did not report anything.

Also, another strange thing happened last week, where, I forget why I wanted to scan a specific folder, but doing so, AVG 9.0 found 2 viruses, which very strangly was on my computer for at least almost 2 yrs. However, from the past of having AVG setup to automatically do a FULL computer scan, it never detected these 2 files being a viruse before. What is that all about?

So that's pretty much I have done so far. If anyone is unsure of a fix or does not know what the problem is, I did still came here to also ask about what happened to your thread whic listed a bunch of recommended repair/spyware removal/av software tools. Being an old time recommer to ask for some help, I remember where the forums used to have a thread specifically pointing to recommended tools. Do you have any?

If you still have recommendations, I would am looking for the following…
1. Memory Scanner
2. Drivers Scanner, I heard of Driver Detective, but I could not get it to connect to the internet when it asked to.
3. Registry Cleaner
Hi BnTheMan

I would start by cleaning out the internal dust as it sounds like an overheating problem. when important components overheat, the PC will auto shut down. Of course it could be other issues causing the sudden shut-down, but making sure it's not due to overheating, would be a good starting point.

Follow these steps in Cleaning a PC: by Digerati
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=103649

After cleaning, leave the case side open and make sure your fans are spinning properly.



Cheers,
Lee

I did still came here to also ask about what happened to your thread whic listed a bunch of recommended repair/spyware removal/av software tools.


Self Help Fixes for Spyware / Malware
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=97


If you still have recommendations, I would am looking for the following…
1. Memory Scanner
2. Drivers Scanner, I heard of Driver Detective, but I could not get it to connect to the internet when it asked to.
3. Registry Cleaner


1. Download: http://www.memtest86.com/
How to use MemTest:
http://www.custompcblog.com/troubleshootin…-tutorial-guide

2. I used to use Driver Detective (it's not freeware), but I've had wrong drivers downloaded and no longer use or recommend these type of programs. I'd stick with MS update to see if any driver updates are required, if you don't know what specific drivers might need updating.

3. We don't recommend the use Registry Cleaners at WTT.

Cheers,
Lee
I agree these are classic heat related symptoms, so making sure the inside and vents of the case are clean of heat trapping dust and that all the fans are spinning properly is a good start. Unfortunately, these are also symptoms of several other things - including failing RAM, leaky capacitors (on older boards), stressed or failing power supply, or other hardware failure.

Also unfortunate is that you failed to tell us anything about your computer - You put XPSP3 in your profile, but many people have more than one computer so that information is pretty much useless as it forces us, perhaps incorrectly, to assume we are talking about that computer. You mention Vaio and you keep saying computer instead of notebook or laptop, but Sony does make desktops and notebooks with the Vaio brand. If a notebook, your cleaning options are restricted by limited access to the inside. If a PC (desktop/tower), you should be able to get full access. Assuming a PC, while inside cleaning, ensure all connections are tight and secure. Inspect the motherboard for leaky capacitors. Leaking capacitors will have a white to dark brown, dried foam substance coming from the tops or bottoms of the capacitors. The capacitors look like tall soda cans and there will typically be many surrounding the CPU socket. Bulging capacitors are an indication they will so start to leak. A motherboard can be re-capped, but it is often better to replace the board.

A failing PSU can manifest into many odd, seemingly unrelated symptoms. But since the PSU is such a key component of the computer, it is always important to ensure you have good power - especially while troubleshooting. Here is my canned text on testing PSUs:

To properly and conclusively test a power supply unit (PSU), it must be tested under various realistic "loads" then analyzed for excessive ripple and other anomalies. This is done by a qualified technician using an oscilloscope or power analyzer - sophisticated (and expensive) electronic test equipment requiring special training to operate, and a basic knowledge of electronics theory to understand the results. Therefore, conclusively testing a power supply is done in properly equipped electronic repair facilities.

Fortunately, there are other options that are almost as good. I keep a FrozenCPU Ultimate PSU Tester in my tool bag when I am "in the field" and don't have a good spare power supply to swap in. While not a certain test, they are better than nothing. The advantage of this model is that it has an LCD readout of the voltage. With an actual voltage readout, you have a better chance of detecting a "failing" PSU, or one barely within specified ATX Form Factor Standard tolerances. Lesser models use LEDs to indicate the voltage is just within some "range". These are less informative, considerably cheaper, but still useful for detecting PSUs that have already "failed". Newegg has several testers to choose from. All these testers contain a "dummy load" to fool the PSU into thinking it is connected to a motherboard, and therefore allows the PSU to power on, if able, without being attached to a motherboard - great for testing fans, but again, it is not a true load or suitable for conclusive testing.

Note the required voltage tolerance ranges:

[external image: Posted Image]
NOTE: Disregard the -5VDC reading. It is no longer used.


Swapping in a known good supply is a tried and true method of troubleshooting used for years, even by pros. If you have access to a suitably sized, spare power supply, carefully remove the suspect supply and replace it with the known good one, and see if the problem goes away.

I do not recommend using a multimeter to test power supplies. To do it properly, that is, under a realistic load, the voltages on all the pins must be measured while the PSU is attached to the motherboard and the computer powered on. This requires poking (with some considerable force) two hard and sharp, highly conductive meter probes into the main power connector, deep in the heart of the computer. One tiny slip can destroy the motherboard, and everything plugged into it. It is not worth the risk considering most multimeters, like plug-in testers, do not measure, or reveal any unwanted and potentially disruptive AC components to the DC voltages.

Note the ATX Form Factor standard does not "require" specific color coding for power supply connector wiring. It has recommendations but manufacturers often do not follow them. Sadly, many testing guides or tutorials will refer to wire color only and that can lead to improper testing.

The voltages can be checked in the BIOS Setup Menus of most motherboards but they do not reveal ripple or other anomalies either. And the Setup Menu places very little demands on system resource so, like the temperature readings found in BIOS Setup Menus, they may not reflect values obtained when the computer is processing demanding tasks.

As always, before working in the interior of the computer case, take necessary ESD precautions to ensure static buildup in your body does not discharge through and destroy any sensitive devices. Unplug from the wall and touch bare metal of the case before reaching in. And remember, anything that plugs into the wall can kill. Do not open the power supply's case unless you are a qualified electronics technician. There are NO user-serviceable parts inside a power supply. If you do not have a tester or a suitable spare to swap in, take the PSU to a qualified technician for testing.

A little futher advice BnTheMan,

If you download "Balarc Advisor" from here http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It will provide you with a complete Computer profile Identifing all your PC harware, missing hot-fixes, installed security and all software apps. and lots of other handy info. This is for your own personal use. Due to privacy concerns, please do not post the results here.


If your PC is still auto-restarting or suddenly shutting down, could you please turn off auto-restart.

Here's how to turn off auto-restart: (you can turn it back on after you are finished with this repair by reversing the same steps)

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > System
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
5. Manually reboot the machine.


Now when the system encounters a serious error, it will throw a Blue Screen BSOD, instead of automatically restarting.

Write down on paper the exact “full” error message you may be receiving if you experience a Blue Screen Error or Stop Message

Post the Error Message information into your next reply so that we can identify what next steps may be necessary.

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit: If you go to your Computer Manufacturer's site, you will be able to manualy check for hardware driver updates from the information recieved from Belarc Advisor..
Wow!!! That was very unexpected, but very very appreciated. Also, I will certainly try the cleaning the pc procedure, but for PSU reading, the computer is to old to be worth sending to a technician. And about my graphics driver, I always was skeptacle trusting Microsoft update since that big scare with SP1 to update manufactured hardware. I can see using it for the OS, but how does Microsoft know every manufacture of graphics card that will properly give me the correct driver. This is why I try going to Sony Vaio's website. However, since they do not have any graphic driver updates, what do you think about the ATI situation? Did ATI merged with AMD and now I am screwed? Also, I appologize for forgetting to put my computer specs in my thread. I just get so worked up trying to make sure that I am clear with my main topic, that I sometimes forget the things which are important as well, but do not really fall in with the topic. Anywho, my specs: Sony Vaio Tower OS: Windows XP SP3 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.0GHz 512MB RAM Graphics Card: ATI Intel Integrated Radeon 9200 with 1.4 shader pixels/Texture Unit, 4 texture Units total I think this is correct
Yes, AMD bought out ATI. Note that Microsoft as learned a lot in the 8 1/2 years since the release of SP1. And Microsoft goes by what the makers tell them. Since that is integrated graphics, I would check Sony's site first for updated drivers. That said, outdated drivers that had been working fine don't suddenly cause reboot problems because they are outdated. They may become corrupt where updating may fix the corruption. But a complete removal and reinstall the same drivers should fix any corruption. The point is, however, if you have to reinstall drivers, might as well do so with the latest. Note that many shops will test a PSU for a very nominal fee. Call around and check.
Hello. So I took appart the tower cover and tried cleaning the PC as best as I could. I then put the cover back on and tried starting my computer back up. At first I thought, okay, maybe this fixed. However, after the computer running a few days, meaning I kept my account logged on and never logged out, the computer completely rebooted with no warning prior. Once the computer rebooted and I login, I get a notice that windows has recovered from serious error. It then tells me that I could send this to Microsoft along with a minidmp. I usually click on cancel because I do have $$ to spend just for some tech from Microsoft telling me that I should consult with my computer's manufacture tech support, in addition to, spending an additional $100 per incident support from Sony computers because my computer is out of warranty. So back to looking at the eventViewer, I am still constantly getting the same event error. The event ID 1003 and error code 1000008e. Just to make sure, I Googled it, and sure enough, many results come back stating that this error stands for faulty hardware or driver, such as USB drivers, sound drivers, or graphic drivers[\b]. Now just as I was mentioning prior, I did have an issue with possibly installing the wrong graphics driver due to Ati merging with AMD. Furthermore, another person posting in techspot forum, specifically mentioning in his thread title he was having an Ati graphics card driver issue almost identically to mine. You candidates the topic in this URL…
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic96900.html

However, here is my problem. My computer has an Intel Pentium 4 processor with an Ati integrated graphics card, and from what I here, Ati has merged with AMD. Now I am not sure if downloading my driver from AMD's website was causing my screen to jitter, but downgrading back to the manufacturer's driver did resolve that issue. On the other hand, I am now getting this system error. Furthermore, it has now worsen to the point that the computer rebooted every 5 minutes, so now, I am stuck having to boot in safe mode, which means I cannot run windows update because my internet setup uses the USB port which does not work because windows XP does not load USB drivers in safe mode. So basically, I am stuck in 2 ways. I am affraid to reinstall that updated driver from AMD's website as well as cannot access windows update. Is there any other type of solution? Note that I can access the internet with my cellphone. So maybe would that help?
Hi BnTheMan, Ok, you cleaned the internals of your PC to the best of your ability which is great, as your PC was suffering classic heat-related symptoms. The next likely culprit (moving down the list from most likely to next likely) is a faulty PSU. Now that you have cleaned your PC, have you followed Digerati advice in post #4 about your PSU power supply? If not, I suggest you do that next, as it is the next logical step in problem elimination, before examining a possible driver software issue. In the meantime as your PC is re-booting every 5min., could you please STOP auto-restart and write down the blue screen error message you will receive and post it here. Here's how to turn off auto-restart: (you can turn it back on after you are finished with this repair by reversing the same steps) 1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System 2. Go to Advanced 3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings 4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart" -> OK Manually reboot the machine. Cheers, Lee
Hi. I am not sure why you insist that my case is a classic internal hardware problem, when my computer behaves fine with no problems when I boot the computer into safemode. It has been roughly 12 hours since the last time i booted into safe mode, and the computer has not rebooted once as oppose to the every 5 minutes if I boot the computer normally. Furthermore many Google search results point to that an event ID 1003 error code 1000008e means that it is most likely a faulty or currupt device driver. However, if you are so positive that it is a faulty PSU, then I guess I will have to junk the computer for parts. Seriously, this computer is not even worth putting $15 into it. Furthermore, even if I did spend the money for someone to test my PSU, and it is true the PSU is faulty, I have to also think about the cost to replace it and have someone install it. Also, if I understand what a BSOD, blue screen of death which means that the computer cannot boot past the blue screen, I do not think that is the type of error I am geting. The computer can fully boot to my login screen and I can log in. The error happens after windows is fully loaded and my login song plays. The error however, is not detailed at all. It just spits out a message to let me that windows had recover from a serious error and I can send the report to Microsoft. So if you do not mind, I would like to get a second opinion before junking my computer

I am not sure why you insist that my case is a classic internal hardware problem

an event ID 1003 error code 1000008e means that it is most likely a faulty or currupt device driver

Understand that device drivers are there to make the hardware work and to provide a means for the OS to communicate with that piece of hardware. Stop 8e reporting a faulty or corrupt driver does not eliminate the possibility it is the hardware itself that it bad.

As far as the PSU, for me as an electronics technician, it is simply common sense to start troubleshooting by ensuring I have good power from the start. Power supplies have 3 voltages they must supply to a computer and unfortunately, they don't have to fail completely to give problems. In fact, a slightly out of tolerance supply can give some very strange and difficult to troubleshoot symptoms. Since it takes a trained technician with sophisticated (read: expensive) test equipment to conclusively test a PSU, swapping in a spare PSU is often the best test.

Seriously, this computer is not even worth putting $15 into it. Furthermore, even if I did spend the money for someone to test my PSU, and it is true the PSU is faulty, I have to also think about the cost to replace it and have someone install it.

Many shops will test a PSU for a very nominal fee, but still, if you don't think it worth it, then don't do it.
Hiya Bntheman, Reading over these post and the folks are trying to help you trouble shoot your problems. 1. Also, if I understand what a BSOD, blue screen of death which means that the computer cannot boot past the blue screen, I do not think that is the type of error I am geting. - The reason they would like you to do this to see what error code you get when the machine crashes, this is a good way of trying to nail the problem down to the letter so to speak. If you could and be kind to perform this test for us to see what type of message you would get, that would be a great help for us. 2. Another test after the first if you could, is to find a pci or pci-e video card to test and see if you would crash or not, this would also help you or possible point into the area of the graphics card. If its possible to get one. So if you would please be so kind to try the first test for us, that would be a great help, and if you could find a card to test that would be something you can try for yourself. Thanks. Jimbo1

if you are so positive that it is a faulty PSU, then I guess I will have to junk the computer for parts


Neither myself, nor any other writer here has claimed that your PSU is positivly the cause of your PC problem, it's just that when the issue is a computer that continually shuts down every 5min. the first two thing to check are internal dust build up and to test for a faulty PSU.

The fact that your PC shuts down in normal mode but not in safe mode does not rule out a faulty PSU, as the the power requirements and usage in safe mode is minimal, but not so in normal mode.

"Event ID 1003 error code 1000008e" can refer to a variety of issues, including hardware faults. 10 different Computers with that same event ID might have 10 different things causing it. Tracking down the cause of a major PC problem has to be done methodically and that is all we are trying to do here.

Cheers,
Lee
Please accept my appoligy for my last reply. I really did not mean to be rude or disrespectful. All I was trying to do was be a little stern torwards the importancy that I do need this computer because I cannot splerge on a new system right now and I need to be carefule of what I spend. I did get a little upset when afterwards I said it is not worth sending my computer to a repair shop and others have still insisted that I should have my computer checked out for a faulty PSU when all I wanted was to make sure that I just go and trash my computer. If it was certainly the only opttion I could do, then I would resppond back saying thanks for the help but it will not be woth trying since the computer is 7 years old. Also, I do not see the difference, other than cost wise and me tossing a computer that at the time cost me $1300 just for the tower itself, if we tested device drivers first and then if that was ruled out then go ahead and check for a faulty PSU as opposed to the opposite. In any event, if no one minds if we dol it the othber way arround first, I did do one thing someone here had mentioned, which was turning off automatic restart on system errors. Doing so, I finally got an official BSOD with a much clearer error report than that crappy windows error statement, "windows has recovred from a serious error." So here are the suggedstions the BSOD suggests…. "If this is your first time you,ve seen this stop error screenn restartbyour computer. If this screen appears again follow these step… 1. "Check to be sure you have adequate disk space." … unless windows virtual memory is set higher than my drive space, I am okay there. I have 95 GB left. 2."if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with manufactureer for driver updates. … yes there is a driver identified in the stop message. See below 3. "Check to make sure your hardware vender for any BIOS updates. " Actually, I think I did see that my vender does have an update that I need to download and install. … now for the stop error stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xBFA8C84D, 0xB2804DDC, 0x00000000) ati3duag.DLL address BFA8C84D base at BFA36000, DateStamp 00000000 Beginning dump of physical memory Physical Memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance. Other than the BIOS update I need to do, I am not sure where I can find one since my manufacturer does not list any new graphics driver. So that means that once again asking for your suggestion if there is an ATI driver detector that would point me to the correct drivers that I need. I am really affraid to download that other driver that installed previously since 1. ATI merged with AMD. 2. Doing so last time, my screen started to jitter and made it impossible to read what was on screen, and I could do more damage to my monitor. If it helps… My monitor is a CRT monitor, my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9200 integrated chip, and I have an Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz processor. Any suggestion where I can find this driver?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI