This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

More RAM and frying Motherboard

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an Avaretec 3200 series laptop. It only has one slot that is supposed to only hold 512 MB of RAM. I needed more to run some programs for tax season and didn't want to buy a new computer. I found people saying on various boards reviewing my lapto that they had been successful in installing a 1GB of RAM. Also there were suppliers selling the 1GB RAM online. I sucessfully installed and my computer is running fine and faster and I am able to run my tax software no problem. However some guy seems to think that the extra RAM will fry my motherboard. Is there any truth to that.????
Hi Mercury64 As to whether or not your RAM will fry your motherboard, i can't give a clear cut answer to that, although i've never heard of RAM frying a motherboard. Usually symptoms are more like blue screen or really slow upstart from first bios screen to windows upload or no start at all. However, not all motherboards can utilize the extra RAM you add to it. So before going any further, i would like to know which kind of motherboard you have. Then i'll try give as much advice i can. Regards Abydos ;)
Here is what I found. Not sure if this gives you what you are looking for. Averatec 3200 Series Motherboard 82-878001-01 - 82-878001-02 Laptop appears to be running faster. Is there something I can do on the computer to find the specs on Motherboard

However some guy seems to think that the extra RAM will fry my motherboard. Is there any truth to that.????

No! Well, yes. That is, if the extra RAM is bad to begin with, it is the wrong type (meaning the pin count and configuration is different), it is improperly installed (backwards), or installed with power (battery or AC) still connected to the computer, then it may fry the motherboard. But installing the correct "type" of RAM correctly will, at worst, cause the computer to choke at boot. At best, it will recognize the RAM and start running.

It is important to note that RAM consumes very little power. As seen here, with both DDR and DDR2, the power demands are "in the 1-3 watt range per 512Mb stick."

It only has one slot that is supposed to only hold 512 MB of RAM.

Where does it say "only"? I don't see it in your manual - I only see where it says, "Adding memory allows the computer to operate faster…" and a note that says, "Use only 1-inch DDR333 SO-DIMM (200-Pin) modules."

Laptop appears to be running faster.

It would. 1Gb is considered to be the "sweet-spot" for RAM for XP on a single core CPU computer. One of main reasons for this is that the CPU and XP do not have to continually spool data out to temporary storage in the Page File on the slooowwww hard drive. With 1Gb, much more "crunching" can be done within available RAM. This saves wear and tear on your hard drive. Also, since laptops use integrated graphics, most likely, you have 32-64Mb of system RAM that has been taken away and dedicated to graphics processing. That's a big chunk when RAM is low to begin with.

No! Well, yes. That is, if the extra RAM is bad to begin with, it is the wrong type (meaning the pin count and configuration is different), it is improperly installed (backwards), or installed with power (battery or AC) still connected to the computer, then it may fry the motherboard. But installing the correct "type" of RAM correctly will, at worst, cause the computer to choke at boot. At best, it will recognize the RAM and start running.


Thanks this is good news. I installed correct RAM and had all power disconnected etc. No problem booting up.

It only has one slot that is supposed to only hold 512 MB of RAM.

Where does it say "only"? I don't see it in your manual - I only see where it says, "Adding memory allows the computer to operate faster…" and a note that says, "Use only 1-inch DDR333 SO-DIMM (200-Pin) modules."


I went to Micro center where I bought the laptop and there program said it was only upgradeable to 512. I had also read reviews online. Thanks for the manual link I have been looking for that for a long time. Especially since a manual did not come with my computer!


Also, since laptops use integrated graphics, most likely, you have 32-64Mb of system RAM that has been taken away and dedicated to graphics processing. That's a big chunk when RAM is low to begin with.


Currently mine is using 32 I can adjust down do I want to or with it monkey with graphics?


Thanks A lot for all of your help. I feel a lot better. The guy that thought the RAM might fry the motherboard admitted he was not that knowledgeable about PC hardware.
Hi Mercury, Your motheboard still OK??? I have an Averatec 3200 and would also like to upgrade my RAM to 1GB. (even if the max. should de 500MB) Can you tell me where you bought your memory and the brand (website link)? Many thanks
Hi Mercury, Your motheboard still OK??? I have an Averatec 3200 and would also like to upgrade my RAM to 1GB. (even if the max. should de 500MB) Can you tell me where you bought your memory and the brand (website link)? Many thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI