Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Looking for a decent Internet booster program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

Computer Geek

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:38 AM

I've heard a lot about Internet boosters, even tried one once, can't remember the name but it didn't seem to work(not surprising). I've generally viewed such programs with a fair amount of skepticism, however I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any free ones or ones with trials that actually work. I have cable but not unlimited(in Australia very few places offer that if any) so when I go over my limit the download speed degrades to close to dial up speed :( . At least I'm not paying extra per megabyte though. Anyway back on topic, for these times when my speed is rather slow I'm wondering if there's a program that might help increase the speed somewhat. I'm realistic about it, even if I can find one that works I don't envision a drastic improvement but some seems better than none. I've considered the old trial and error method but these type of programs can be magnets for malware and it seems easier and better to get recommendations from people in the know about these programs.
I'm waiting for a average computer that can't be infected with malware unless it's intentionally ........ 5 years later: I am still waiting

If you want to help this site running and offering free help, please consider giving a donation

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hi Enigmachick

My personal experience with internet booster programs is that most (if not all) fail to do just that. Instead they usually just have another work-around about how things are done, and not always for the better. Much like RAM-booster's.

Instead of boosting, consider optimize your connection settings. Optimizing is better with the hind-sight, that it won't allow your system to do things it couldn't do from the start....

A program i have used, and which helped to some degree, is TCP Optimizer. But just remember, that your cable speed won't be any faster, your system can. If you are uneasy of trying out new programs, make a restore point to back-up your settings etc.

Tried google, just for fun, after Internet booster. And my site advisor showed around 2/3 red entries......So yes, those programs are indeed malware and worse- magnets.

TCP Optimizer from Speedguide.net

Kind regards Abydos :)

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#3 kazzoo

kazzoo

Authentic Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:33 AM

Greetings Enigmachick

Like Abydos said

cable speed won't be any faster

But there are some things you can do to optimize what you have so there is less waste of bandwidth in up and down loads. Your performance will vary.

I would point you to www.dslreports.com and first use a tool called TWEAKTEST. You will need to have JAVA enabled. This will make a recomendation on what parameters could be changed to improve throughput of what you have.

Then you can run another tool Called DR TCP and actually make the changes.

Dslreports Tools

Mind you you are dabling in system tuning ,and can be fun to do, but this can break as well as improve things.

Obviously you will want some sort of benchmark to see if you really did improve things right? So run a speed test from the same link or one of your own choosing. A before and after thing.

Enjoy!

(WOW, you just got to admire a girl who geeks, You go Girl!)

Regards

Kaz

ps. Thought I would pass this insignificant nugget of info along as well....How do I restore default settings? (#6385)
In DrTCP, blank every field. Save, exit and reboot.

Edited by kazzoo, 17 January 2008 - 09:46 AM.
Adding a helpful hint.

Badgers? I dont need no stinking Badgers!

#4 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

Computer Geek

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the advice, however I think since these type of programs wont increase the speed much and they require some intimidating configuring for me I'll let it be. I am a geek and a girl and at least some people appreciate it, it's getting better these days as more females are into computers and the Internet.

Edited by EnigmaChick, 17 January 2008 - 07:21 PM.

I'm waiting for a average computer that can't be infected with malware unless it's intentionally ........ 5 years later: I am still waiting

If you want to help this site running and offering free help, please consider giving a donation

#5 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

Hi Enigmachick Regarding advice, you're welcome :) About the subject of the programs being to intimidating. "Its better to stay on land, than take the plunge if you're unsure of the depth!" Kind regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#6 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

this link might be helpful:

http://cable-dsl.hom...#BeforeStarting
How Can I Reduce My Risk?