Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet vanished after using Hijackthis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 L_D

L_D

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:14 AM

so to start my tragic story off, i ran hijackthis (common tech tool we all love) and well i was used to always normally checking all boxes to be sure of everything (wont do it again) and this is the first time it whipped back at me for doing so. after the fixes were done and complete i went to restart/shutdown (rundll32.exe isn't shutting down properly thus the reason why i used hijackthis, it'd just hang at cannot end process bla bla bla) and well start up the ol' comp again and poof! no internet. i have all access to my router and whatnot, but no connection to the WWW. finished doing that System File Checker tool (thnx Siggyx) that i thought was going to end my problem, but nope...failure. i bet it did fix a bunch of dll files or something, but not this! If anybody has any clue to why this might have occured, it'd be greatly appreciated. By the way, it's almost 5am and i haven't gone to sleep, so i'll post the saved log later. any other tools or programs that may fix my problem would also be great. :(

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

Hi and welcome to the WTT forums,

Sorry to hear of the problems with your machine, yes you are definitely right, its not a good idea to fix items using HJT unless you are confident you are able to recognise the legitimate entries...(there will be lots of them) and the bad ones.

There is a WhatTheTech forum dedicated to malware removal where trained experts will analyse your HJT log and provide detailed advice and specific guidance on how best to clean your machine.
For further information have a look here:
http://forums.whatth...emoval_f27.html

All may however not be lost, HJT creates a backup of items fixed (provided you installed and ran HJT from a permanent folder on your hard drive and not from a temp folder, CD, floppy or ZIP)
You can try to restore the items you fixed previously by clicking on the HJT executable and selecting "view... backup" and see how you go.

Please note we do not analyse HJT logs or provide malware removal advice on this sub forum, so if you need to post your HJT log or require malware removal advice please visit the above link, (IE no HJT logs here please, thanks)
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 09 January 2008 - 11:29 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 L_D

L_D

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME ABOUT BACKUPS! I always knew they were there for something good later down in life :lol: Anyways, all my greatest gratitudes goes to you. Don't stop helping people, or else we'll all have a bunch of helpless people running around with virus's to give everyone! WE DONT NEED THAT! ^_^ THANK YOU AGAINS SO MUCH! I'm currently typing this up as we speak on my newly recovered computer! :P

#4 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

well i was used to always normally checking all boxes to be sure of everything

Did someone tell you to do that?
Why in the world would you do that? :wall:

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#5 L_D

L_D

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

Yea, can u beleive i was introduced to HiJackThis from another fellow employee at PC CLUB?!!?? Just told me to check all boxes and it should fix the files/delete the necessary ones. =( Yea well i've learned my lesson and now know how to get help with similar problems....THIS FORUM!!! :P