This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Help to verify if vundo/virtumonde and w32.trats!i

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

On December 29, while my husband was surfing the net (he swears he wasn't downloading anything whatsoever), he saw an installation window pop up which wouldn't cancel when he tried to (he says it was labeled as an update for my WalMart music downloader, which seems doubly odd). Popups started proliferating. He saw something called "Internet Speed Monitor" had been installed, and uninstalled it. The computer had slowed to a crawl, and Norton 360 was disabled – several of its system files had disappeared. At that point I came back home and he told me what was going on, and I took over, since I know a bit more about software. Ironically, the Norton 360 self-diagnostic said that everything was absolutely fine with the program, even as multiple error messages kept telling me that crucial operating files were missing. I managed to connect with Symantec chat help, which recommended I use the Norton uninstaller to remove Norton 360 and then reinstall it. I did so, and it told me I had w32.Trats!inf and the Vundo/virtumonde viruses. I followed the removal instructions for w32.Trats!inf from the Symantec website as best I could (I couldn't understand the registry instructions), and used Vundofix to get rid of the Vundo infection. It took about five or six runs of Vundofix to make the files go away. The computer was working pretty much normally then, but Norton 360 then told me I was still infected with w32.Trats!inf., so I started another chat session. They said I'd need to pay for premium support ($100) to get it removed, so I did – I figured I didn't have much choice. They then took remote control of the computer, ran a tool, deleted some things, and pronounced me clean. A day later, Norton pops up a notice that w32.Trats!inf is back. I have 15 days of free support left with Norton on the virus cleanup, so I have another support chat. They check and lo! it's back. They delete it again and assure me it's really gone this time, and make broad hints that perhaps I had just reinfected myself by clicking on evil attachments, etc. I was skeptical, but accepted this. Yesterday, Norton 360 tells me that vundo is back! I ran the Norton fix, and it said everything was now fine. I ran vundofix, and it found nothing, but when I poked around in the registry, there were still references to pmnnm.dll and pmnnm.exe, which I know from my many hours of reading about these viruses are evil files. At that point it was very late, so I shut the thing off and started again early this morning. I read online that having old versions of Java will make you vulnerable, so I uninstalled all my old versions of Java and just installed the new one, hoping this might help keep me from being so vulnerable. Then I logged on for another chat with Norton/Symantec premium support. They checked my system 32 folder, and saw that I was indeed infected: ctfmon.exe.tmp; mnnmp.ini; mcrh.tmp; and ctfmon.exe are apparently the offending files (they explained something to the effect that ctfmon.exe is a legit file, but there's apparently a virus clone). Interestingly, the last modified date on all these files was December 30 – these *were never deleted correctly in the first place* during the first two tech support sessions (which I paid $100 for, lest we forget). This guy tells me not to worry (that was exactly what the last two guys told me), and deletes the files, and says it's fixed – just as I notice ctfmon.exe has come back up on the reboot. He confirms that oops, yes, it's back, and has me go into safemode, in which he says he at last deleted every last virus trace. I point out that the registry entries for pmnnm.dll and pmnnm.exe are still there, so he deletes those. At this point my Microsoft Office begins freaking out and asking for an install; apparently the fix to the ctfmon.exe file (which is an Office file) damaged that. So I had to use the CD to reinstall bits of that. Then, when he ended the chat session, I realized he'd forgotten to reenable system restore (they disable it when they start fixing your system to avoid reinfection). I called Symantec (I had no patience to wait a half hour for another chat) and asked if I should reenable it, or if he was leaving it off deliberately to avoid reinfecting my system; they told me to reenable it. So, apparently he forgot to reactivate a crucial system process. It just gets better and better! At any rate, the guy from Symantec swears (again) that this time my system is really, really, clean, this time they mean it, cross their hearts and hope to die. At this point, my faith in their competence is somewhere between diddly and squat. They've been very nice (at $100, they should be!), but for professionals to miss these files repeatedly leaves me very, very worried. How can I make sure that all traces of this virus are really, truly gone from my system, and the ctfmon.exe file now in my system32 folder is the innocent file, not the evil spawn of doom file? Neither Norton 360 or Vundofix are detecting anything untoward, but they weren't detecting the infections half the time. Also, how can I make sure this doesn't happen again? My husband swears he was just browsing a sports message board, and hadn't downloaded anything, or clicked on any attachments. I've been online since the mid 90s, and my husband has been online almost that long; neither of us have ever seen anything remotely like this. I do use Netscape 7.2 for email and some browsing – as an older browser, is that exposing us to problems? I installed the new version of HijackThis, and can post a log if that would be useful. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. It's been a wretched start to the new year. Thank you, Anna M.C.
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

My name is Simon V., and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Please post the HijackThis log and I'll check if anything is still on your computer. When we're sure your computer is clean I'll give you some prevention tips to keep your computer clean in the future.
Here it is:

———————————————

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:03:00 PM, on 1/11/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16574)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "www.hotmail.com"); (C:\Documents and Settings\ANNAMC\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\8ehm1nyp.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\ANNAMC\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\8ehm1nyp.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.7\NppBho.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E88292E-8D84-4F32-80F6-AFC2D70A2B70} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar4.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.7164\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Pictures - {8E929F51-5914-11D6-971F-0050FC3F9161} - C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Desktop\Ronny's stuff\Pictures.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar4.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.7\UIBHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1820217110-1205050738-912667622-1008\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup (User 'LogMeInRemoteUser')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1820217110-1205050738-912667622-500\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup (User 'Administrator')
O4 - Global Startup: Printkey2000.lnk = C:\Program Files\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {001EE746-A1F9-460E-80AD-269E088D6A01} (Infotl Control) - http://site.ebrary.com/lib/glenpub/support…s/ebraryRdr.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1136569252796
O16 - DPF: {9600F64D-755F-11D4-A47F-0001023E6D5A} (Shutterfly Picture Upload Plugin) - http://web1.shutterfly.com/downloads/Uploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {E856B973-45FD-4559-8F82-EAB539144667} (Dell PC Checkup Installer Control) - http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/rel/41/install/gtdownde.cab
O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/controls/msnchat45.cab
O16 - DPF: {FD0B6769-6490-4A91-AA0A-B5AE0DC75AC9} (Performance Viewer Activex Control) - https://secure.logmein.com/activex/ractrl.cab?lmi=100
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{653752B6-7A04-4E39-8D51-A8D314B043FE}: NameServer = 207.69.188.185,207.69.188.186
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\508\G2AWinLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\508\g2aservice.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\svcntaux.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

–
End of file - 10641 bytes

————-

As a followup to my tale of woe above – about a day after I posted here, Norton 360 found the Vundo virus again. I called Symantec to deal with this for the fifth(!) time and explained how very deeply unhappy I was about all this. I finally got a senior tech who spent over a half hour hand-deleting files and registry entries in safemode, and even creating a dummy file to get rid of the infected ctfmon.exe file, then replacing it with a clean file from his system. I've been running comprehensive virus scans every day since then, and I finally haven't had any more virus alerts. I think (hope) it finally worked this time. I hope my log confirms this!

What makes it all more annoying is that when they told me my system was clean the first time, I backed up all my important data files to my external hard drive. Since it turns out that my system wasn't clean after all, I'm now wondering if I infected my external hard drive, and I'm afraid to even plug it into my computer, let alone use it to back anything up now. :(

Thank you,

Anna M.C.
Hi :)

If you haven't backed up executable files (.dll, .exe, .scr, .bat, .cmd, .vbs, .sys) to your external hard drive, there shouldn't be a problem. We'll check it anyway, with the following on line scan (your log looks clean, but that doesn't necessarily mean your computer is)

Plug in your external hard drive while holding the Shift key. That way, no files will automatically run.

Close all programs before continuing, and try not to run anything during the scan.

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner. (You will need to use Internet Explorer to run this scan)

On the welcome screen, click Accept.

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, click Install.

  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on Next.
  • Now click on Scan Settings.
  • In the scan settings make sure that the following are selected:

  • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:

    Extended (if available, otherwise Standard)

  • Scan Options:

    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases

  • Click OK.
  • Now under Select a Target to Scan:

    Select My Computer.

  • The program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
  • Now click on the Save as Text button and save the file to your desktop. Post the contents of the Kaspersky Online Scan report in your next reply.
Hello, Yes, sorry, I'm still here. :) I did a bit of looking around about the Kaspersky online scanner, and found information about how a past edition had a vulnerable active-x control, which has apparently since been fixed. I'm sure you'd only recommend something that's safe, but after the wringer we've just been through with this, I'm a little worried about installing and running it, and am attempting to talk myself (and my husband) into it. :) Could I ask – do you recommend a particular Internet security software to replace Norton? I've heard good things about both NOD32 and Kaspersky. Also, do you know if Trend Micro is any good? I'm getting a new laptop which comes with a three year subscription to it, but if it's not any good, I'd rather pay for something else – free is nice, but it's false economy if the software doesn't work well enough to prevent another virus! Thank you for your help and your patience, Anna M.C.
Hi :) I haven't heard about that vulnerability of Kaspersky. If it has been there, it shouldn't be anymore, such things get fixed very fast. I'd still like you run the online scan :) I can assure you it's safe. As for anti-virus programs, I'd recommend NOD32. It's only because I've heard very good things about it, haven't used it myself. Second place would be Kaspersky, then Trend Micro. There are good free anti-virus programs too, such as avast!, Avira AntiVir and AVG Anti-Virus.
Here it is. I didn't disable Norton antivirus, even though it advised me to turn off all my running virus scanners, because I didn't want to leave my computer vulnerable for almost two hours. I was afraid to plug in my possibly-infected external drive in case I reinfected the computer somehow, so I just scanned my computer itself. However, this report is telling me it's infected with something. :( Earlier today, I plugged in our other external hard drive and backed up my files; please don't tell me I infected that hard drive, too . . . Anna M.C. ——————————————————————————- KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:25:13 PM Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 5.0.98.0 Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 17/01/2008 Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 513500 ——————————————————————————- Scan Settings: Scan using the following antivirus database: extended Scan Archives: true Scan Mail Bases: true Scan Target - My Computer: A:\ C:\ D:\ Scan Statistics: Total number of scanned objects: 98630 Number of viruses found: 1 Number of infected objects: 6 Number of suspicious objects: 0 Duration of the scan process: 01:32:08 Infected Object Name / Virus Name / Last Action C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\3ad391678a806ec4d691e83aaa393b6f_5b150187-0f05-4c72-917c-77c8e6964ac4 Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\eHome\logs\ehRecvr.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Common Client\settings.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBConfig.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBDebug.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBDetect.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBNotify.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBRefr.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetCfg.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetCfg2.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetDev.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetLoc.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetUsr.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBStHash.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\BBValid.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\SPPolicy.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\SPStart.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SPBBC\SPStop.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtErEvt.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtETmp\6507B26F.TMP Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtETmp\ADBCDE0A.TMP Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtMoEvt.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtNvEvt.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtScEvt.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtTxFEvt.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtViEvt.log Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Desktop\software\Downloaded software\LogMeIn.exe/data.rar/LogMeIn.msi/data.cab/LogMeIn.exe Infected: not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32.RemotelyAnywhere.a skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Desktop\software\Downloaded software\LogMeIn.exe/data.rar/LogMeIn.msi/data.cab/ramaint.exe Infected: not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32.RemotelyAnywhere.a skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Desktop\software\Downloaded software\LogMeIn.exe/data.rar/LogMeIn.msi/data.cab Infected: not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32.RemotelyAnywhere.a skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Desktop\software\Downloaded software\LogMeIn.exe/data.rar/LogMeIn.msi Infected: not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32.RemotelyAnywhere.a skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Desktop\software\Downloaded software\LogMeIn.exe/data.rar Infected: not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32.RemotelyAnywhere.a skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Desktop\software\Downloaded software\LogMeIn.exe RarSFX: infected - 5 skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\AnnaMC\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\WA\1.7\NCOWAD.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\WA\1.7\NCOWADMT.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\WA\1.7\NCOWAS.dat Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\WA\1.7\NCOWAS.ldb Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\EENGINE\EPERSIST.DAT Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDALRT.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDCON.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDDBG.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDFW.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDIDS.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSYS.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\AutoProtect.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\AVContext.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\AVManual.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\Backup.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\CUInternetPageViewHistory.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\CUInternetSearchHistory.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\CUInternetTempFiles.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\CUWindowsTempFiles.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\EmailScan.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\InternetSecurity.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\ISIntrusionPrevented.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\ISIOTraffic.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\ISNewNetwork.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\LiveUpdate.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\NCO.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\VABrowserSettings.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\VAIPAddresses.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\VAWeakPasswords.log Object is locked skipped C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Log\WDFScanner.log Object is locked skipped C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped C:\System Volume Information\_restore{3DBD88D2-9FFC-498B-A689-A4771362F918}\RP9\change.log Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\ModemLog_Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem.txt Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\Registration\{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}.{76E5531B-EED8-4044-B40B-504EAE8BD40A}.crmlog Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\{7FBB4B0C-6434-4B81-8D88-4D457279FB38}.bin Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\DEFAULT Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Internet.evt Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Media Ce.evt Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SOFTWARE Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS\FP00002.SHD Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS\FP00002.SPL Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\Temp\JET3733.tmp Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\Temp\JET38AA.tmp Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\wiadebug.log Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\wiaservc.log Object is locked skipped C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped Scan process completed.
Hi :)

I cannot know whether your external hard drive is infected if you do not want to scan it. If you press the Shift key while plugging in the device, there is no risk of transferring a possible infection.

The 'infected' files found by Kaspersky belong to LogMeIn, a remote access program. If you know this is present on your PC, it is harmless.

Please let me know whether you want to check your external hard drive too.
If the computer's clean, then I'm happy. :) It means the second external hard drive is okay too. As for the first external hard drive that may or may not be infected, I think I'm going to take up a colleague's offer to reformat it. He has access to some computers that are used for nothing but handling these types of virus issues, so he can safely reformat it and wipe out anything on it. Thank you very much for your help! Anna M.C.
Hi :)

Congratulations, your log looks clean. Please advise of any problems you are still experiencing, or follow these simple steps to keep your computer clean in the future:

Your Java software is out of date. Follow these instructions to update it:

  • Go to Start and click on Control Panel, then double-click on Add or Remove Programs.
  • Search for previously installed versions of Java (J2SE Runtime Environment), and remove it. It should have this icon next to it: [external image: Posted Image]
  • Then download and install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 4.

Disable and Enable System Restore - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

Step 1: Turn off System Restore:

  • On the desktop, right-click My Computer
  • Click Properties
  • Click the System Restore tab
  • Check Turn off System Restore
  • Click Apply, and then click OK

Step 2: Reboot your computer.

Step 3: Turn on System Restore:

  • On the desktop, right-click My Computer
  • Click Properties
  • Click the System Restore tab
  • Uncheck Turn off System Restore
  • Click Apply, and then click OK

Note: Only do this once, NOT on a regular basis!

Make your Internet Explorer More Secure

  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab.
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.

  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt.
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable.
  • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable.
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt.
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt.
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt.
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.

  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Use a Firewall - Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. The Windows firewall isn't sufficient as it only monitors incoming connections.

Here are a few (free) firewalls, please download and install one of them:


Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://update.microsoft.com/ regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Download and install Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option (if you have an older version than 1.5, please update it). This will provide real time spyware and hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should scan your computer with the program on a regular basis just as you would with your anti-virus software. A tutorial on installing and using this product can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial43.html

Install Ad-Aware - Download and install Ad-Aware (if you have Ad-Aware SE note that it is outdated, and you should update to Ad-Aware 2007). You should scan your computer with the program on a regular basis just as you would with your anti-virus software. A tutorial on installing and using this product can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial48.html

Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. A tutorial can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial49.html

Install IE-Spyad - IE-Spyad places more than 4000 dubious websites and domains in the IE Restricted list. This severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites. A tutorial on installing this product can be found here: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm#IESPYAD

Update All Your Security Programs Regularly - Make sure you update all your security programs (Anti-Virus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware) regularly (once a weak, at least). Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

You can also read this excellent article by TonyKlein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Stand Up and Be Counted! - Please take the time to tell us what you would like to be done about the people who are behind all the problems you have had. We can only get something done about this if the people that we help, like you, are prepared to complain. We have a dedicated forum for collecting these complaints: Malware Complaints. You have to be registered to post. After registering just find your country room and register your complaint. The infection you had was Vundo (Virtumundo).
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI