Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

FanBox

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 watcherduck

watcherduck

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

A friend received an email from a friend of hers containing a multiple-choice question. As soon as she clicked on the answer, she was re-directed to FanBox.com, where she is instantly a member. She is unable to undo her membership, and has written to the admin asking to be removed, but has received no answer. I see from spamhuntress blog, that since it is a virtual desktop site, they have access to your email address book and lots of other potentially ruinous information. Does anyone know anything about this site? FanBox.com Does anyone know how to get removed from automatic membership? Does anybody know how to defend against this type of operation, other than the obvious, "Click on Nothing that you aren't 100% sure of"? :blush:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

Hello Watcherduck,

I think you answered your own question below

"Click on Nothing that you aren't 100% sure of"?

Below is from the google site.

http://www.google.co...n...32&q=fanbox

FanBox is a web based desktop that offers many features that help you maintain contact with your friends and share and store your files.

I found this thread below that may give some information but other than that be careful.

http://forums.pcpits...howtopic=151060

I do not know how your friend can rid herself of the membership except to have very good maintenance running and don't click on sites or attachments that they do not know well.

kind regards,

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

Hi Watcherduck, It's been a while. Nice to see you back, though I wish it wasn't because of a problem. The information and link offered by Tallin does a good job of reviewing the situation. Spammers and scammers are getting more inventive. It is possible that various anti-phishing utilities will also get better with blocking and warning users about such sites prior to loading the website. Once an IP address is known and added to the scammer's data base, they may persist with efforts to drag the user back into participation. As always, the best defense is prevention. Consider SpywareBlaster and MVPS Hosts File for blocking known bad-guy sites, and read up about the useful features of Internet Explorer anti-phishing utilities. Some paid Security Suites include warning and anti-phishing features, but in general Suites are still so cumbersome and resource intensive that I can't yet recommend them for most users. Best Regards..... and nice to see you back. Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 watcherduck

watcherduck

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:56 PM

Thanks Doug, I like the new look around here. It really isn't a problem, because she didn't give her password. I told her to put the url into her restricted sites ( I put it in mine, too.) I subscribe to a hosts file monthly update, and advised her to. I was using SuperAntiSpyware Professional, but like you said, it is cumbersome, so I took it out of start-up, and just use it to scan. From following reference to reference in threads, I have discovered that there are a few sites that do this. I am thinking I will google hosts files, and suggest they add these sites to the hosts files. Thanks for your help a while back, my system is working Really well. Aloha, Don

#5 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

:thumbup:

#6 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

Computer Geek

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:19 AM

Once an IP address is known and added to the scammer's data base, they may persist with efforts to drag the user back into participation. As always, the best defense is prevention. Consider SpywareBlaster and MVPS Hosts File for blocking known bad-guy sites, and read up about the useful features of Internet Explorer anti-phishing utilities. Some paid Security Suites include warning and anti-phishing features, but in general Suites are still so cumbersome and resource intensive that I can't yet recommend them for most users.

Best Regards..... and nice to see you back.
Doug

Is there any way to get an IP address changed by the service provider without paying a huge fee in general, I'm just talking about people with static ones? If it were possible they could do this.

Edited by EnigmaChick, 31 December 2007 - 04:20 AM.

I'm waiting for a average computer that can't be infected with malware unless it's intentionally ........ 5 years later: I am still waiting

If you want to help this site running and offering free help, please consider giving a donation

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

EnigmaChick, Short answer: Yes, it is possible to do, but not necessarily effective for the purpose in this thread. Disclaimer: I am no pro when it comes to DNS domain name server and domain name resolution. This is a big "gotcha" when it comes to the annoyance of having somehow gotten onto a spam list. Changing an email address is as simple as "Create a new Account" and never use the previous Account again. Even changing an email account associated with an ISP is doable at no charge. But...... 1. The user may not be able to get the username that they prefer for instance: if my email address is Doug@myISP.com Other usernames like Doug1, or DougfromWTT, may already be in use and not available. 2. Changing an email address causes need to inform all of your preferred friends and contacts And if the owner uses an automated responder to inform their address book friends of the change, they may also be informing the spammer. 3. However an address appears in plain text (Doug@myISP.com), the DNS "resolves" it to a URL (206.xx.xxx.xx.xx) which is traceable via Whois, etc. The major domain name handlers must have a uniform method to deliver internet service and email contacts to the owner/user of an address, and that is necessarily "public" information. Other "dodges" that include "anonymous" surfing -- may not be fully anonymous, and cookies can drag IP information along to the next accesses site. Additionally, "anonymous surfing" may depend upon proxies that may not be reliable. Surfing can be slow and unreliable according to downtime of the proxy server. Creating a "disposable" email address, may in some cases be a useful "dodge" when registering software and/or accessing websites that require registration. Longer answer: This can be a nightmare. Maybe other more informed Members will come along with a better solution. Again.... Prevention is the best defense. Best Regards