This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Need assistance Changing Boot Drive Letter

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Update: Someone please delete this - it should have gone under hardware instead of windows - has been moved but I didn't see an option to delete my post. Sorry. :) I know I have read that this can't be done without formatting your hard drive so before anyone jumps in to say it can't be done - I already know this. What I also know is that I should be able to do it with a new install and format but I can't get my system to format via the windows install disk so let me explain how this happened: Learning experience #1 - I promise not to install a new hard drive without removing the old drive first! Here is the story: My sister's hard drive was failing - 24 bad sectors so it shows. We purchased a new drive and installed it (without removing the old - with the hopes of being able to atleast pull some photos off of it - which we accomplished). Anyway, the new drive installed as drive E and windows loaded fine. We pulled her photos off the old "C" drive - they are now on my thumb drive. We had to install windows on the new drive in order to access the old because it wouldn't boot at all. My mistake was that I should have removed the old, installed the new with windows, then added the old back in (I suppose). We have not put anything on the new hard drive except for windows so reformatting is not an issue. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the drive letter to change - I don't get the option to reformat it now that it is formatted for NTFS. How can I get this drive letter to change? I dont mind reformatting, removing drives, etc…whatever it will take I am willing to do…somebody please direct me which way to go. I believe I need to remove the partition and/or unmount the drive - if this is right, how do I do this? Update: I forgot to mention, the old drive is now no longer installed but still available if I need it for anything. Thanks. wndy26

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI