This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Computer shuts down

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi My girl Friends Computer keeps shutting down. It started when I replaced the monitor, now it shuts down one time each night. When the AC is on or it is a litter colder it does not do it. I have tried to put the old monitor back on the computer but the monitor does not turn on not even when doing the cmos memory check. But I can hear the computer starting. but the new monitor works fine apart from it saying that the display needs to be 1440*1600 or something and the computer shutting down. We have the setting it set a little higher because the computer does not have this setting . I think we have at set at ????*1600 I am not sure of the first number. Has anyone get any ideas
Hi Davidtheo,

How long is it since you cleaned out the dust bunnies?

Digerati wrote: I would make sure the system is clean of heat trapping dust and dirt and that all fans are spinning properly and my temperatures are good. Then I would clean the system of clutter using Disk Cleanup or another disk cleaning utility, scan the system for malware again to be sure. I recommend Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) for supplemental scanning.

You could install Siw.exe so you can learn about your system.

Post back with more details.

Kind regards,

Hi Davidtheo,

How long is it since you cleaned out the dust bunnies?

Digerati wrote: I would make sure the system is clean of heat trapping dust and dirt and that all fans are spinning properly and my temperatures are good. Then I would clean the system of clutter using Disk Cleanup or another disk cleaning utility, scan the system for malware again to be sure. I recommend Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) for supplemental scanning.

You could install Siw.exe so you can learn about your system.

Post back with more details.

Kind regards,


Last weekend I checked the fans and all where working fine,

Is there a program I can use to check the temp when the computer is running? last weekend I had to keep going into cmos to check the temp.

Davidtheo,

It works for me.

Will look for your post tomorrow.

kind regards,


Hi

I have uploaded a screen shot of the speedfan readings. The computer has been running for about 20 minutes and it is a warm night.

📎fan.JPG

I'll clean the computer tomorrow.

Thanks
Hi This is the last post I can post for 4 or 5 days as I am on holiday Power box fan has a lot of dust and dirt . Box fan is clean and working . CPU fan is clean but has a small niose when first starts. can not hear the noise when the cover is on. Motherboard is clean. The pic below was in the morning when I first turn on the PC. The room was cold, the box open. 📎fan.JPG
Hi After having a movie run for 9 minutes the temp has jumped to 56C and slowly climbing. This is with the case closed again. I believe the CPU fan is going out and maybe the case fan too. I am thinking of replacing all the fans, what do you think.
Davidtheo,

While you have the case open, and are replacing all the fans, make sure you take the chance to clean out the tower thoroughly as you will not get a better opportunity. Keeping the inside of the tower pristine is at least a once in three months job, maybe annoying, but in the end it is a good investment.

Have a good holiday, and take care while accessing that tower.

kind regards,

Davidtheo,

While you have the case open, and are replacing all the fans, make sure you take the chance to clean out the tower thoroughly as you will not get a better opportunity. Keeping the inside of the tower pristine is at least a once in three months job, maybe annoying, but in the end it is a good investment.

Have a good holiday, and take care while accessing that tower.

kind regards,


Hi

I booted the computer yesterday and ran it for about 3 hours and then it shut down I rebooted and checked the temp. The temp was 97C, it ran for about 4 minutes then shut down again.

I have ordered a CPU fan and heat sink for it.
Hi Davidtheo, Let us know how the computer is running after you have installed the new parts. Post back with further questions if you need help, others will come by to assist you as well. kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI