helpheather
Topic Starter
I've tried everything that I could find to try to get rid of the pop up box I keep getting.
I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop that's running Vista Home Premium.
The specs are:
Intel Celeron M CPU 440 @ 1.86GHz
1014 MB RAM
32-bit Operating System.
It keeps popping up:
"Your computer was infected by Trojan.Win32.Obfuscated.gx.
It's dangerous for your system, some files can be lost and your browser can be slow!
Click OK to download the antispyware program to clean your computer! (Recommended)"
I've tried to download a whole bunch of things to try to get rid of it but they either won't pick it up or it costs me money to try and remove it. I don't know what this HijackThis program is so you're going to have to talk me through the whole things please…… Thanks so much for helping.
I tried the HijackThis program because I read about it on this site. This is what it said to me:
"For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file.
If any Hijacked domains are in this file, HijackThis may NOT be able to fix this.
If that happens, you need to edit the file yourself. To do this, click Start, Run and type:
notepad "C:\Windows\System 32\drivers\etc\hosts"
and press Enter. Fine the line(s) HijackThis reports and delete them.
Save the file as "hosts." (with quotes), and reboot."
I clicked OK at this point and then another error message popped up:
An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modMain_CheckOther1Item()
Error #75 - Path/File access error
Please email me at [removed], reporting the following:
* What you were trying to fix when the error occurred, if applicable
* How you can reproduce the error
* A complete HijackThis scan log, if possible
Windows version: Windows NT 6.00.1904
MSIE version: 7.0.6000.16575
HijackThis version: 1.99.1
This message has been copied to your clipboard.
Click OK to continue the rest of the scan."
At which point I clicked OK again. And it proceeded to finish the scan but now I can't save it. It says
"Cannot find the C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\hijackthis.log file.
Do you want to create a new file?"
I click "YES" and then it's a blank Notepad screen and I can't copy and paste the log file so I can't do anything from there.