This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

What I doing wrong... disabling Recycle Bin properties

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I got a simple wish on my Win2k SP4. Okay, maybe more wishes, but let's start with this one. I want to disable the properties menu on the Recycle Bin. To do that, one need a (at least in theory) very simple register tweak:

REGEDIT4 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "NoPropertiesRecycleBin"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer] "NoPropertiesRecycleBin"=dword:00000001

That is backed up by many sites on the net, like there: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/t1187882607 And it is even backed up by very own M$ infos: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserve…3.mspx?mfr=true Now imagine my shock that this simply does NOT work for me. Anyone can explain/help me out there? As for my other wishes, I wished to get rid of the Active Desktop menu and I discover that just using Gpedit.msc one can go to: User settings, Messages templates (?), Desktop and set the Active Desktop disable to Enabled and that it is :) (the english names are just translated back from Czech win translation, so they can be far from perfect) However I also wished in the cursed Recycle Bin to get rid of the second useless menu, the one that goes "Create shortcut" … :wacko: And I did not find anything that can help me. Buy maybe someone do?
For me, the registers do nothing :wacko: (yes, they properly added the values, but nothing changed at all)I looked into the Admin templates in gpedit.msc and true - I can remove properties ONLY from the Documents icon (not anymore on my desktop) or from the MyComputer icon (last thing I want to do), but not from Recycle bin… :( So maybe it doest not work at all in Win2k, only Win2003 server or XP?…and of course, the goal is removing from context menu of Recycle bin the choices "Properties" and "Create shortcut" and this reg tweak do only the first one. There are two separator lines too :P Perhaps time to hack shell32.dll? :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI