Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Recycle Bin Slow To Open

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bobberles

bobberles

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

Recycle bin SLOW to open, and other peculiarities Hi, Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 4:42:10 PM, on 7/9/2007 Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running Win2K Pro SP4 with all updates and hotfixes. Normally I do not use the Recycle Bin; I shift-delete. But occasionally I do use it, and I found that it now takes over three minutes to open! I did a Google and other searches and got no hints. I read my 'Win2K Pro Resource Kit', no hints there either. And none in my 'Que Special Edition Using MS Win2K Pro' book. Talked to a local expert, nothing. Event Viewer was no help. So here I am. I had CCleaner installed and set to clear the Bin on every boot, so it's always empty on a start. I uninstalled that program but that had no effect. As a test, I created a file on the desktop and slid it over to the bin's desktop icon; it disappeared instantly, as it should. I then clicked on the bin icon and timed the response: 3 min, 10 sec (until the hourglass disappeared) - and the bin was empty! I created another file on the desktop and slid it into the now open Bin and it disappeared! But the hourglass sat there for 20 sec, then flashed a message that was too short for me to catch. I tried that again, and hit Print screen, but it was too fast even for PS to catch it. I then clicked on File>Empty Recycle Bin and got the box labelled Confirm Multiple File Delete: Are you sure you want to delete these 2 items? I clicked on Yes; that also took 3 min, 10 sec (until the hourglass disappeared). But they weren't really gone! Because I repeated the File>Empty Recycle Bin operation and got the same "Are you sure..." Like I said, I rarely use the RB, but when I need it I really need it. Can anyone help me with this? Bob

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

Hi bobberles,

I wonder what would happen if you Rebooted into SAFE Mode, then ran you Ccleaner???

If that seemed to clean out temps and the Recycle Bin appropriately, you could then Reboot to Normal Mode and run Windows File Protection System File Checker
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter <-- note the required space before the "/"

You might also want to run CHECKDISK, to clear up any bad-cluster issues

Start - Run - (type)chkdsk /f /r - Enter <--> Then answer "Y" for yes to allow reboot and run of chkdsk /f /r

If the above fails to give you resolution,
Consider a Repair Installation?
________

Have you added a System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG) to your Windows 2000 system?
If not, you can safely copy it from an XP installation or download it from the internet into your System32 Folder.

With MSCONFIG you can have a pretty good look at the active files that may be clogging up the machine's resources.

Or CodeStuff - Starters is an excellent third-party utility for the same.
_________

to get a better look at your machine overall,
goto
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Run the Full Tests

Post the TechExpress Link to the Full Test Results back into this thread for further review.

Best Regards

Edit: In the above recommendations, I have shown less concern for possible Malware Infection than is called for.
Update and Run your onboard antivirus and antispyware utilities.

Do one online scan from the suggestions below:
Panda Online Scan
Kaspersky Online Scan
TrendMicro HouseCall

If you find items of malware present, it would be sensible to also post a fresh HJT Log over in the Malware Removal Forum.

Edited by Doug, 09 July 2007 - 11:46 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 bobberles

bobberles

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hi Doug, Too much lightning. Gotta shut down & unplug until all this stuff moves on, if it EVER does! I'll be in touch. Bob

#4 bobberles

bobberles

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hi Doug,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I had run chkdsk before posting. Anyway, I did it again and got the same answer - no report.

Reinstalled Ccleaner, analysis said 53MB, ran Ccleaner, analysis then said 32.3MB, ran Ccleaner again, hung up instantly, had to right-click to close. Ran in Safe Mode, hung instantly, still 32.3MB. Most of the stuff that was deleted was Java for Radar; keeping watch on approaching storms the past couple of days (after Ccleaner was uninstalled). So, there seems to be something in that 32.3MB that hangs up Ccleaner.

Well, that didn't clean out the recycle bin but I went ahead and tried WFPSFC anyway. When it called for the SP4 CD I put it in one of my three drives and got this message: "The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the SP4 CD into your CDROM drive." I tried the second, then the third drive; then I washed the CD and tried all three drives again; then I shut down SFC and checked each drive with other CDs. I give up! This is not the first time MicroSoft has not recognized a CD that THEY sent to me. Do you have any ideas here?

I downloaded and installed MSCONFIG, disabled jusched and Ad-Watch 2007 (which should have been deleted when I uninstalled it a few days ago).

I ran pcpitstop Full Tests. Is this what you want? TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop...C7EHWDS61VS7C9W

It's been a long day. I'll do the Malware Infection stuff tomorrow.

Bob

#5 bobberles

bobberles

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:23 AM

Hi Doug, Ran TrendMicro ALL NIGHT LONG! Woke up at 0330, still going, found Freeloader_Smitfraud, Rap_Generic and HTTP Cookies. Said I should scan again. Did that, back to bed. 0445, came out to Possible_MLWR-5, 2 infections and Adware_Alexa, 1 infection. Selected Clean. Response: "Failed to clean an infection on your computer." Then it seemed to be hung up, going in circles. Finally got fed up with this BS and shut down, rebooted. Recycle Bin is still the same - still slow as molasses, still has those two invisible items, still cannot delete them. This is the second time that TrendMicro has left me wondering what the hell happened, and why can't they '...clean an infection...' on my computer, and how do I get any usable results from their scans. I give up.

#6 Tree

Tree

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:21 AM

System space didn't change after empty the recycle bin, why?

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

Hi Bob, Is this the same machine that you posted for HJT Log analysis over in Malware Removal, where you had a conversation with Shelf Life? the presence of Freeloader_Smitfraud, and Rap_Generic, suggests that maybe you've run afoul of a Zlob trojan, which may have been part of another download, or which could have been an "fake-alert offer to help clean your machine" or it could have been many other things. TrendMicro may not be able to clear this bad-guy (a trojan with some nasty complicators) Please post a New Topic in Malware Removal, or run and post a fresh HJT Log into your thread with Shelf Life (if this is the same machine)

#8 bobberles

bobberles

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

Hi Doug, I thought that post with shelf_life was resolved. But if you want me to reopen it, I'm on my way. Bob

#9 bobberles

bobberles

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

Hello, Doug! Here's a copy of a Reply I sent to shelf_life; and it applies to you as well: -------------------- Hello, shelf_life! That last HJT really worked! The Recycle Bin is now empty and working as it should, and two or three Event Viewer problems have disappeared. I spent a lot of time in the past trying to decode those EV problems, never thinking they were malware related. Live and learn! Thank you for helping me and for teaching me to open my mind. Best regards, Bob -------------------- I thank you for helping me and for nudging me in the right direction. Without your help I would still be wandering around like a dummy. Best regards, Bob

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

:thumbup: Glad you decided to become a Member at TC. Hope to see you around the Forums. :) Post when you want to, help when you can. D