This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problem with installing zip files

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So you can understand my problem I need to give you some information first. I have problems with installing a lot of zip files. There is a website that I frequent daily, it is www.giveawayoftheday.com, it's a website that has free software that they give away on a daily event. The software is changed every day at 7:00pm. All the software they provide is free and updated daily. I have tried to email them with the problem I will tell you but I have never got any reply from thier admin. What you need to do to install the zip files they provide is, unzip folder, after the folder is unzipped it usually has 2 prgrams and a readme file. The 2 programs are the installation program and the activation program. When you install the original program, you then have to run the activation prgram. After you run the activation program it usually activates the software automatically. Sometimes when you run the activation program, it opens up a small screen that provides you with the registration information which is only done when you are required to enter a name and code for registration, sometimes you need to write you email in abox for them to send the codes to you by email. OK, now you understand the setup proceedure, I will explain my problem. I will call the activation setup "Pop Up" as that's what it is to me. The problem I have is when I install files that have the pop up after you install the program. When it is about to open that pop up, I get an error message explaining setup.exe needs to close. This happens every time I download on of those installation programs. The problem is, I can't choose which version or setup to install. It is chosen by give away of the days admin when they post the software on their website. As you can see I have a problem with my installation setup. I have tried all the typical things, like deleteing all temp files, disk cleanup, registry repair, deleting cookies etc and the problem still exists. I have tried to get help from the websites forum, but they have an IQ of a pea, they never offer anything helpfull all they tell me is to delete all temp files and reboot, which as I said I have tried. Is there anything that I could change that would fix this with the systems settings, or is it possible to download a newer working version of install shield wizard for windows xp or could it be the process of the download. I really need help with this problem as it's driving me crazy. Just so you know, I have used the give away website for years and have never had this problem. Also I just had to have my computer reiftted and repaired due to a faulty graphics card, but I don't believe that is the cause. Can anyoen help me with any help that I haven't tried. Please I beg you for help, it may make it easier for you to understand what I am saying if you go to the website yourself and install the current software so you can see the proceedure so you have better first hand knowledge. Thanks. the website again is www.giveawayoftheday.com. Thanks.
I shy away from such giveaway sites.
But I take your experience at your word.
And it is an interesting site…. to you.
OK.
It's an adventure with software that might not come to your attention otherwise.

Searching, finds that several other sites attest that the giveaway software is spyware-free, but no guarantee for the future.
I suppose it is up to you. :)

Even though the site itself may be spyware free, it appears that it occasionally offers free software that could possibly border on functions that do not strictly follow all legal and contractual requirements. For instance, one offering is for bulk download of various Media.
Bulk downloading of Media could easily violate the copywrite rules of ownership of the Media.

This forum, WTT, will not assist with sites and software, or users of such, when the use is or could possibly be for purposes that are other than strictly legal.

You have already received "sensible advice" from Buddy (moderator on that sites Forum), as follows:

I have just unzipped (using 7-zip) both the setup.exe and readme.txt into their own folder c:\temp\AnVirTaskManager. I have then closed down the program 7-zip (it now has nothing to do with the process of setting up the Giveaway program).

So. I have a folder with only two files in it: Setup.exe and readme.txt

Now to get the codes (without going through the install again) I double click on setup.exe. Briefly a window appears "connecting to giveawayoftheday.com: checking giveaway availability…

A window labelled - "Installation of Anvir Task Manager 4.6.0. Step 1 of 1" is displayed - and beneath/above that - the giveaway window titled "Successfully activated" will display the codes along with options to add the site to your browsers favorites. (There would also be a button on the task bar - "Successfully activated" that you can click on).

Even if you click on the "I disagree" for the giveaway install - and then OK to abort/exit the install, the "successfully activated" window will remain.


Reading various of the "complaint sites" that discuss giveawayoftheday, demonstrates that people sometimes have found the email response, activation, and forum information to be faulty and/or not functional on any given day.

You may be having a problem with the site's activation software on a given day, which may clear up on a following day.
_____________

Keep your Operating System up to date, and your anti-malware utilities up to date.

Safe Surfing to you.

Doug
As you stated it may have something to do with the activating software. So if it is, what can I do to fix it. I have done all the spyware, malware etc scans and everything is fine. I have also used multiple programs to coplete these scans such as spyware doctor, ad-aware, trend pc-cillin internet security and AVG free anti virus. I understand that sometimes, some software may not fix certain problems where others do, so I ensured the end result.I really have to ask, is there some type of setting that has to do with internet options for exaple that can be checked to ensure the installation works. I really need help with this problem and I need it quickly. Thanks.
If you have made any "custom settings" change in Internet Explorer, set them back to Default.

If you are receiving Windows operating system updates and patches without problem, then your machine and its function on the Internet is probably fine.

Sometimes "activation/installation software" provided by third-party software and/or websites can be "buggy".

Reading the various "comments" about the website that you are attending to, it appears that other users have occasionally had "one-day" problems with the activation software.

It is highly likely that the problem is with the website.

Follow their instructions, if any. And be sure that you've completed the instructions you've received above.

Consider clearing your JAVA Cache <– may or may not be involved with your present difficulty:

Clear your JAVA Cache which may have corrupted ActiveX files.
Afterwards, when you visit back to online sites that require ActiveX components, they will ask you to accept a fresh copy of their ActiveX. (not all sites, nor all activeX components are SAFE.) Be sure you make good decisions about where you browse and what you click/allow.

To Clear JAVA Cache:
Control Panel - (double-click)JAVA <– This brings up the JAVA Control Panel
On the General(tab) - Click on - Settings (at the bottom, in the Temporary Internet Files section)
Then click on - Delete Files - the OK, OK to exit the panel and exit JAVA Control Panel
__________________________________–

Assuming you have Windows service Pack 2 installed (if you haven't then please post back for further advice) you can ensure that your Internet Explorer is closed and then:

1 Click Start
2 Click Control Panel.
3 Double-click Internet Options.
4 Click Security tab.
5 Click the Internet icon
6 Click Custom Level button.
7 Scroll to "Download signed ActiveX controls" and set to "Prompt"
8 Scroll down to "Run ActiveX controls and Plug ins" is set to "Enable"
9 Click Apply
10 Click OK

Consider Updating your JAVA JRE:

JAVA JRE Updating

Uninstall the older versions of Java and download the newest.
Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components.
1. Close any programmes you may have running, ESPECIALLY your web browser
2. Click Start - Control Panel.
3. Click Add/Remove Programs.
4. Select any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
5. Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
6. Repeat as many times as necessary to remove all versions of Java.
7. Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
Next

Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Download JRE here (4th one down the list), which is JRE6 update3,
Click Yes at the page warning
Accept the Licence Agreement before downloading the Offline file.
After completing the download (Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language jre-6u3-windows-i586-p.exe 13.93 M
Install the new version of JRE.


When accessing the website and performing download/activation functions be watching at the top or your IE browser screen for a yellow notification/warning option choice. - Select - Permit Download….. or Allow ActiveX
See how you go

Best Regards
OK, so we done that and it didn't fix the prob. So what can we do now. I have checked all over everything you told me to do and download, and although I forgot I didn't have java installed, I do now. Well I checked all over and I can't find what the cause is, the only thing I can think of is by providing you with the error report that is given to Microsoft when they send that error report, but I have a problem with trying to locate that file. When I copied the location of the bug error file, my computer said the pathway didn't exist. Here is the pathway and you may see some way of allowing me to find the file to post here for you to look at. If this helps. Otherwise let me know and I wont paste it here. Thanks for your help so far.
Here is the pathway that is provided in the error report. When I do a search for this location, I am told it doesn't exist and when I look for it manually, I can't find any such files as these folders: DOCUME~1\alison\LOCALS~1, But here is the pathway: C:\DOCUME~1\alison\LOCALS~1\Temp\e145_appcompat.txt. Also I did try and type this after I sent the error report.
Have a look in your C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\

This is a folder where Windows puts some ActiveX and some application software that it used at one time when browsing the Internet. These are generally very "temporary uses" and the remaining files may or may not be auto-deleted by Windows when it finishes. Some that "linger" are "third-party" application softwares that are poorly written and a few ActiveX protocols.

If you see any sub-folders or files in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\ which relate to your specific website application, you can "Delete" them.

Next time you visit that website, it may ask you to download a fresh copy of their software.

The above procedure "may" clear up the problem by removing any corrupted files associated with the application at that website.

You will notice another Folder just above your C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\…
it is called C:\Windows\Downloaded installations\
It is a Folder where Windows puts installation files when they are downloaded.
You can again look for anything related to your specific website and "delete" them

Do not Delete the main Folders:
C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\
and
C:\Windows\Downloaded installations\

Beyond the above, your best assistance may be directly with the website's Forum.

Update your Windows Operating System and be sure you have Windows Installer 3.1 which is the most recent.
You can download and install from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

It "is possible" to investigate whether or not your already have it installed, but it is fairly tricky and requires you to look in C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Downloads <— I recommend you "stay out" of their unless you are very knowledgeable.

The Microsoft download and install will not harm anything, even if you already have version 3.1
____________

You can also run System File Checker after you have done all of the above.
SFC "reads in detail" each of your Windows Operating System files, to assure that they are present and have not become corrupted. If they are missing or corrupted, they can be replaced from your Windows Operating System installation CD.

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <– notice the required space between "c" and "/"
System File Checker may take approximately 8 - 12 minutes.
It does not present you with any log or results.
It just closes.
But if it closes in one or two minutes of running time, it did not complete and should be run again.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI