This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

lsass.exe and wldap32.dll error

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a 6-year-old Dell desktop w/Windows XP Home edition. I use AVG Free anti-virus software, Spybot and Spysweeper. Spysweeper ran just before my problem began - no viruses found. My computer has been excessively slow on startup, taking almost 20 minutes before I can do anything on it. I decided to run a check disk on my next startup. The next day when I turned the computer on, CHKDSK ran and said the hard drive was clean. When it rebooted, I got a pop-up window that was labeled "lsass.exe" and in the body of the window, it said something to the effect that wldap32.dll was missing and reinstalling that file might solve the problem. When I clicked "OK," the pop-up disappeared and I was left with a black screen. Now, every time I turn my computer on, it starts to run the CHKDSK again, I hit Enter to stop the CHKDSK and get the pop-up window. I've moved three times with this computer and I've lost my boot disk, so now I can't do anything. Can anyone help? Does it sound like I have the sasser virus? Any suggestions anyone can give would be so appreciated! I do medical research for physicians after my day job and I've already lost a week of time. Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer. ~~Allie
Borrow a XP CD from a friend. wldap32.dll is in the I386 directory of the cd. If you can boot it and get to the Recovery Console (enter R the first time allowed to do so), then you can copy the file from the CD to C:\Windows\system32 using the expand command.

As a matter of fact, you can try copying it from C:\windows\system32\dllcache to C:\windows\system32.

See if that fixes the problem.

If you can't borrow a Windows XP CD you can download a bootable ISO image of the Recovery Console from here (still available as of 12/08/2007):

http://www.mharding.net/downloads/xp_recovery_cd.iso
http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Note: You create a CD from the iso image, you don't burn the iso image to cd. If your burner software doesn't handle .iso images, install DeepBurner which does.

If you don't have a CD burner you can download the 6 diskette boot set from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994/en-us

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI