This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

deleting user data

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I read that when a user's account is deleted by using the control panels "user's account" that not all of the files/data in that account is actually deleted, even if you have selected to delete and not the save function.. That this info is still on the computer somewhere, taking up space on the disk. It also said something about a "data base administrator" is required to delete these. Since this user account is no longer needed, I would like to delete any unnecessary files on the disk. I would appreciate any info someone might have in addressing this. Thanks. don
Hello don,

I'm sure the message you received was that a "system administrator" is required to delete the data. I think as far as deleting the account goes, it should do a pretty good job of taking care of everything. Make sure you are logged in as an administrator.

How Do I Delete A User Account Profile

After this, you can also go to the %systemroot%\Documents and Settings and make sure the user account folder has been removed.

You can also use the User Profile Deletion Utility (Delprof.exe) . Be careful though, as this is a command line tool. After installing, simply run delprof /p and you can tell it whether or not to delete for each profile on the system.

Delprof.exe does not delete the Windows Installer data when you remotely delete a user profile

Regards,

Ax
Ax: When I ran delprof it asked to Yes or No to delete inactive profiles. I presume that would be okay for the inactive user account. Or is there another way of doing this. don
AX: Okay found the info on M/S web, but when I enter the parameters (delprof /p /c: \\ server1) only one comes up (Don-2) and is that to be erased? So figured not since it doesn't show any others profiles. It also said something about not recognizing delprof as a something or the other. Don't remember for sure. Think I will just remove it and forget about saving more space. Like you said, maybe just deleting the user account is sufficient. With my luck, I'd end up messing things up again. Thanks for the help anyway. don
Hi don, No problem at all, glad to help! delprof won't delete the current user profile. If you've already deleted a profile, it won't be able to find it. As I don't know which profiles were on your system to begin with, I can't give you any solid recommendations. I think your conclusion makes good sense, sometimes it's best to leave things as they are. Regards, Ax

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI