This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sound Issue

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

In the last two weeks, something happened to my PC laptop that is causing a difference in the sound, regardless of the application being used. Everything is going at the correct speed, but the pitch is lower. I have Windows XP SP2. The only thing I can guess is that my daughter got a Webkinz for her birthday, and when she went to the site it require an update of Shockwave (I think). It was sometime after that when I noticed the sound difference, but I don't always use a lot of sound when I'm using the PC. Any ideas are welcome.

In the last two weeks, something happened to my PC laptop that is causing a difference in the sound, regardless of the application being used. Everything is going at the correct speed, but the pitch is lower. I have Windows XP SP2.

The only thing I can guess is that my daughter got a Webkinz for her birthday, and when she went to the site it require an update of Shockwave (I think). It was sometime after that when I noticed the sound difference, but I don't always use a lot of sound when I'm using the PC.

Any ideas are welcome.


Have you checked you sound settings since your daughter used Webkinz? Right click on 'Volume Control' in the 'Systems Tray' near the clock and go through the 'settings' including Options>Properties and see if anything looks out of order.

Most certainly post back if you need more advice.

Kind regards,
I'm pretty sure she didn't change those settings, though she can increase and decrease the volume. This is something very different. Any ideas what I should be looking for?
You could try doing a System Restore to a date just before the WebKinz update, see if that resolves the problem. To do this,

Click on Start then Run, type (or copy and paste) %windir%\system32\restore\rstrui. That will bring up the System Restore window. Clik on the Next button, select am appropriate date then clickon the Next button.

Let us know how you make out, good luck.

Update:
Forgot to add that it would be a great idea for you to download and install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Startup folder, that way it will create a full registry backup each time you boot the computer. You can also run it manually whenever you are going to make a significant change to your system.

Recovery is easy, you navigate to the C:\Windows\ERDNT folder, pick the date you want (by default, it keeps 30 days worth of backups), click on the erdnt.exe file and off you go. In a minute or so, you reboot and your registry is restored to the state it was in when the backup was made. Faster than System Restore and it has never failed to work for me, whereas System Restore has failed occasionally. It's not a replacement for System Restore since that also saves and restores key, critical XP system files but for registry problems (most XP problems seem to be registry related), it's perfect.

Very nice, unobtrusive program that has saved me more times than I can remember.
Would system restore wipe out any emails I've received since then, etc. Or will it just restore system settings to that time?

You could try doing a System Restore to a date just before the WebKinz update, see if that resolves the problem. To do this,

Click on Start then Run, type (or copy and paste) %windir%\system32\restore\rstrui. That will bring up the System Restore window. Clik on the Next button, select am appropriate date then clickon the Next button.

Let us know how you make out, good luck.

Update:
Forgot to add that it would be a great idea for you to download and install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Startup folder, that way it will create a full registry backup each time you boot the computer. You can also run it manually whenever you are going to make a significant change to your system.

Recovery is easy, you navigate to the C:\Windows\ERDNT folder, pick the date you want (by default, it keeps 30 days worth of backups), click on the erdnt.exe file and off you go. In a minute or so, you reboot and your registry is restored to the state it was in when the backup was made. Faster than System Restore and it has never failed to work for me, whereas System Restore has failed occasionally. It's not a replacement for System Restore since that also saves and restores key, critical XP system files but for registry problems (most XP problems seem to be registry related), it's perfect.

Very nice, unobtrusive program that has saved me more times than I can remember.

No, it will not touch your personal data like E-mails. It replaces the registry and a specific set of system files only. You will lose the Flash update but that is one of the reasons for trying this.

Issue solved. Thanks for the help!


revsonny,

Would you please post back to let us know how your sound problem was solved so we can all learn.

kind regards,

Issue solved. Thanks for the help!


revsonny,

Would you please post back to let us know how your sound problem was solved so we can all learn.

kind regards,


I did System Restore to a point before the problem started occuring. Worked like a charm.

I did System Restore to a point before the problem started occuring. Worked like a charm.


:thumbup: thanks for letting us know all is fine now.

best regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI