This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

no progress bar at windows update

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

No green progress bar scrolls when attempting to check for updates at windows update (but the space for the progress bar is present), however after about a minute and 20 seconds, the screen annoucing no priority up dates available appears. I'm wondering if maybe this can be caused by a virus, malware, spyware or something like that. It seems I remember something like this before, and after my hijack log being checked and repaired, the problem cleared up. Any suggestions or help appreciated. I'm running windows XP home with SP2. Don
Doug: Did most of that. Seems like most applied to win 98. However, I did download the Script 5.6 update for win XP. Tried update, still no green bar, although I still get the message advising "no priority updates available". (wonder if I could download them if there was any updates?). Anyway I tried to register the (regsvr32) 7 items suggested in kb/836973 & the result was: "The specified module could not be found" Same results for all the others. Appreciate any other suggestions, or maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong. dhac
Hi again dhac,

My apologies. The MS Knowledge base article I linked for you is not likely to be of much benefit to your machine/operating system.

Is this machine the same one that you recently posted for assistance with Ken over in Malware Removal.

If so, you appear to have the correct MS Updates ActiveX controls on your machine.
However, ActiveX controls can become corrupted.
Please perform the following:

Clear your JAVA Cache which may have corrupted ActiveX files.
Afterwards, when you visit back to online sites that require ActiveX components, they will ask you to accept a fresh copy of their ActiveX. (not all sites, nor all activeX components are SAFE.) Be sure you make good decisions about where you browse and what you click/allow. (MS Updates will ask you to freshly install the ActiveX controller for their update site.)

To Clear JAVA Cache:
Control Panel - (double-click)JAVA <– This brings up the JAVA Control Panel
On the General(tab) - Click on - Settings (at the bottom, in the Temporary Internet Files section)
Then click on - Delete Files - the OK, OK to exit the panel and exit JAVA Control Panel


Next:

Assuming you have Windows service Pack 2 installed (if you haven't then please post back for further advice) you can ensure that your Internet Explorer is closed and then:

1 Click Start
2 Click Control Panel.
3 Double-click Internet Options.
4 Click Security tab.
5 Click the Internet icon
6 Click Custom Level button.
7 Scroll to "Download signed ActiveX controls" and set to "Prompt"
8 Scroll down to "Run ActiveX controls and Plug ins" is set to "Enable"
9 Click Apply
10 Click OK


You may also benefit from download/intalling the latest Microsoft Installer 3.01, here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
_______________

I'll move this Topic over to our Windows Forum, where other Techs may have an opportunity to offer suggestions.

If the above doesn't resolve your situation, we may need to research issues related to:
Comodo Firewall
Spyware Guard
IE Trusted Zones

Best Regards
Doug Did those things.. Yes, that was I that had some malware. Thats why I thought perhaps it was there again. As best I can remember, I had this problem before, and believe that was how it was corrected. I had no problem up untill very recently with the update & running with comodo, & spyware blaster on. Don't have guard anymore. I'm using Avg free, Avg antispyware free, SB&D, & Adaware 2007, I beleive I have installer 3.01, but will doit again. After I did a xp reinstall (repair sorta not a clean install) I downloaded 82 updates which I beleive the 3.01 installer may have been included, all this without green progress bar working. dhac
Hey All: I've tried all suggestions to get the progress bar to work to no avail. M/S hasn't been any help either. Welcome any other inputs. I was wondering if there good be a connection between the progress bar and that I cannot get the desktop Icons to become transparent. Just a thought that there might be a connection. dhac
I completely missed the fact that this is occurring in Internet Explorer when you are checking updates at the MS web site. I would disable all Add-ons via Tools / Manage Add-ons, see if that helps. If yes then re-enable one or two at a time till you find the culprit.
Ztruker: Tried your suggestion for disabling add ons in IE. No change. Still no progress bars in update. Thanks anyway. If you think of any thing else to try, let me know. dhac
Run you System File Checker to replace any missing or corrupted Windows system files Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <– note the space between "c" and "/"

Ztruker:

Tried your suggestion for disabling add ons in IE. No change. Still no progress bars in update. Thanks anyway. If you think of any thing else to try, let me know.
dhac


HI dhac,

I am popping in here to try to help you with you Windows Update problem.

To find out if you are up to date with Windows Updates, I suggest you download and run
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
that will give you a good idea if you are missing MS Updates AND how many.

I have noted all the good ideas other volunteers have offered here, but perhaps try this and see how you go.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=943144

OR

http://www.castlecops.com/t106642-How_To_F…wly_Edited.html

Please post back as there are other options to help, but at this stage a lot of reading in the above post.

Our thanks must go to MekongDelta69 at Castle Cops for the (above) wonderful post.

kind regards,
Just a thank you to all who helped with my update problem: The problem has been solved. After much email correspondence & phone diagnoses, M/S figured out the problem. Seems I had a corrupted user account. They created a new user account & transfered data from the old user account to the new user account & reinstalled IE7. All works as it should now, including desktop icon's transparency. Thanks to all for your efforts & suggestions. don

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI