This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

installing update operation when pc starts after windows update

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hope this isn't too long winded. There was a windows update on Tuesday that installed when I turned the pc off that night. The next day when I turned the pc on, after it had booted to the starting windows screen with the black background this suddenly appeared. 'Installing update operation (number) of 10538 (registry/machin….' I take it these particular updates all were for the registry as nothing else appeared at the end of the message. Obviously it flew across the screen until the operation number was 10538 of 10538, then the pc loaded to the desktop. Apart from the fact that after this happened I got messages up on the screen from avg when loading Yahoo, Ebay and others that a tracking cookie was detected. When I went to 'file', another message said the file did not exist. Also have had a lot of 'not responding' programmes since. Does anyone know what these 10538 updates are or if this should have happened? It's something I've never seen before in any version of windows I've had. I had reason to do a system restore yesterday which also took the ms updates out and I haven't reinstalled them because this will probably happen again and I don't know that it should. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley

Hope this isn't too long winded.

There was a windows update on Tuesday that installed when I turned the pc off that night. The next day when I turned the pc on, after it had booted to the starting windows screen with the black background this suddenly appeared.

'Installing update operation (number) of 10538 (registry/machin….' I take it these particular updates all were for the registry as nothing else appeared at the end of the message.

Obviously it flew across the screen until the operation number was 10538 of 10538, then the pc loaded to the desktop.
Apart from the fact that after this happened I got messages up on the screen from avg when loading Yahoo, Ebay and others that a tracking cookie was detected. When I went to 'file', another message said the file did not exist. Also have had a lot of 'not responding' programmes since.

Does anyone know what these 10538 updates are or if this should have happened? It's something I've never seen before in any version of windows I've had.

I had reason to do a system restore yesterday which also took the ms updates out and I haven't reinstalled them because this will probably happen again and I don't know that it should.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.
hedley


Good that you were able to do a system restore and everything doing ok, I had to do the same myself. We are trying to see whats going on with the updates and yet I have found no infro myself. Just leaving the yellow sheild in my task bar atm untill I or others can find out what the newer updates are causing some problems.

Jimbo1
Hi Jimbo, thanks for the reply. I did the system restore and set the updates from automatic to 'download but let me choose when to install'. Didn't work. When I turned the pc off last night the updates from Tuesday installed along with another 2. I have since read that although it gives the option to change the updates settings, it seems you can't change them in windows 7. You get them installed anyway. Seems to be the case here. I was going to download them from the update site and see what they were beforehand, but unfortunately that didn't work. Probably if I did another system restore they would re-install tonight when I turn the pc off. Thanks for the help. hedley
Change Automatic Update to notify but not download, then they will never make it to your computer so you have much better control. For now, turn off Automatic Update, then reboot. I believe that will get rid of any pending updates. Then set it to Notify and see what happens. Alternatively, start Widows Update manually from Control Panel then select what you do or do not want to download and/or install. That should give you control back.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI