webgeeze
Topic Starter
Hi all
I am new to this site, so bear with me but i will be as concise as I can so you can offer me a little advise
Dell Dimension 5150 with Windows XP Pro which came as standard with 1 Hard Drive and 1 DVD ROM drive and 1 DVD Writer drive. The drive which was in the unit has been playing up (GWA 4164B made by LG) and it didn't recognise the media properly.
I ordered a new drive, Pioneer 112D which slotted in fine and actually works ok, BUT on start up, i get this message
Drive 3 not found - Parallel ATA - PATA-I (PRI IDE SLAVE)
I have the option to F1 and continue or F2 to enter set-up. On the first time I saw this, I continued into windows and saw that windows self detected the pioneer drive and made it available. I can see it in MyComputer and can also see it within control panel, system settings and devices and it's shown correctly with status of being installed and workign properly. Despite this, I still get the problem of the start up statement and F1 F2 options.
so….. I have read some things and assume it's something to do with the jumper settings on the drive. The new drive has 6 jumper settings and was set to master as standard. I changed this when i first installed to be CS (Cable select) which worked but generated the start up warning. I have since changed this to slave and still get the warning. I have read on this forum about checking the start-up BIOS settings to ensure the HDD is the primary 0 and it is.
DRIVE 0 = ON 160GB H/0
DRIVE 1 = OFF
DRIVE 2 = ON PATA-0 DVD-ROM
DRIVE 3 = ON PATA-1 UNKNOWN
the fact it says unknown for drive 3 indicates something is not correct, but i dont have the option to change the setting here.
My question is this
Do you think this is caused by me incorrectly setting the jumper on the new drive?
I am new to this site, so bear with me but i will be as concise as I can so you can offer me a little advise
Dell Dimension 5150 with Windows XP Pro which came as standard with 1 Hard Drive and 1 DVD ROM drive and 1 DVD Writer drive. The drive which was in the unit has been playing up (GWA 4164B made by LG) and it didn't recognise the media properly.
I ordered a new drive, Pioneer 112D which slotted in fine and actually works ok, BUT on start up, i get this message
Drive 3 not found - Parallel ATA - PATA-I (PRI IDE SLAVE)
I have the option to F1 and continue or F2 to enter set-up. On the first time I saw this, I continued into windows and saw that windows self detected the pioneer drive and made it available. I can see it in MyComputer and can also see it within control panel, system settings and devices and it's shown correctly with status of being installed and workign properly. Despite this, I still get the problem of the start up statement and F1 F2 options.
so….. I have read some things and assume it's something to do with the jumper settings on the drive. The new drive has 6 jumper settings and was set to master as standard. I changed this when i first installed to be CS (Cable select) which worked but generated the start up warning. I have since changed this to slave and still get the warning. I have read on this forum about checking the start-up BIOS settings to ensure the HDD is the primary 0 and it is.
DRIVE 0 = ON 160GB H/0
DRIVE 1 = OFF
DRIVE 2 = ON PATA-0 DVD-ROM
DRIVE 3 = ON PATA-1 UNKNOWN
the fact it says unknown for drive 3 indicates something is not correct, but i dont have the option to change the setting here.
My question is this
Do you think this is caused by me incorrectly setting the jumper on the new drive?