I need help, and I'm so glad I found this forum! I don't understand all the language everyone posts yet, so please bear with me. For example, a "post" to me is a post on a forum. When BagelAnne referred to POST in her "post" I don't think it means the same thing. At any rate, my PC (Windows XP, sp 2) was running great up until 2 months (+/-) ago. Ever since then, a message appears - Drive 3 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave) shows up, instructing to press F1 to continue, or F2 to run set-up. I press F1, and go on my merry way. I didn't think too much of the message, cause the PC seems to be running fine. NOT!!
I tried to burn a CD last week, and the drawer doesn't open. I checked "my computer" to trouble shoot the problem, and it doesn't look like the CD drive exists anymore! I have 2 separate doors, one for DVDs and 1 for CDs. The item description from Dell (Dimension 4700 Series) shows the DVD as "16X DVD ROM" and the CD as "48X CDRW". Both are Hitachi LG data storage. Sorry for this "post" being so long, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible. Also, like I said, I don't understand all the computer lingo, so if I posted anything not acceptable, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
— bluecrown113,
Your question, though roughly related to that of BagelAnne's is likely to "become lost", and/or confuse readers who may have difficulty with "who's saying what to whom".
Please "post" your questions as a "New Topic" so that you can receive direct recommendations specific to your questions and concerns.
Best Regards
First step would be to have a look in your Device Manager.
Right-Click on My Computer - Select - Properties - Select the Hardware Tab - Click on Device Manager.
Most likely, you'll see yellow or red warnings under CD ROM or DVD/CD ROM, alerting you to the fact that your Driver(s) for those two optical drives are corrupted or missing.
Highlight the driver and select "Remove". Then Reboot your machine so that Windows can "find new hardware" and "install drivers for new hardware" (you can do both at the same time, or one at a time in sequence)
You will have to install the separate software to enable the RW functionality.
Keep us posted with your progress.
Best Regards
EDIT: Thanks Micah
Thanks for help Dough & Micah. I looked in the system hardware section, and it says:
Drive A: 3 1/2" Floppy Disk
Drive C: Local Fixed Disk
Drive D: CD-ROM Disc
Drive F: Removeable Disk
Does Drive D control both the CD & DVD drawers? Also, I have CDs that Dell sent with the system, but I don't know which one to use to reinstall the software, IF I have to reinstall the software. Sorry to burden you with my stupidity, but thanks for your patience.
On the Hardware panel, click on Device Manager button.
Then look under CD ROM for yellow or red warnings.
Remove the driver from that location if warnings are present, then Re-boot.
Windows will automatically "find new hardware" and "install drivers for new hardware", without your having to use the Dell CD's. At least that's how it is supposed to work.
You'll still have to install any Read/Write software, which is probably on a separate CD.
I did what you advised, "My Computer, Properties, Device Manager, etc". There is one listing, "DVD/CD-ROM Drives". There is no flag anywhere by the item, it appears exactly the same as all other items, with the exception of the item description.
OK, so that is your DVD ROM (16X DVD ROM).
Does the DVD drive function properly?
For instance, can you put a CD or DVD in that Drive and have it successfully display?
Good.
Let's see if you can simply use the Add New Hardware function from Control Panel.
Start - Control Panel - Add New Hardware - double-click.
This will start an automated Wizard to search your system for Hardware that exists physically, but which is not detected as "installed".
It is quite possible that the automated search will fail to detect your CD-RW, but give it a chance.
At the end of the automated search, you'll be given an opportunity to Select the specific Hardware that you wish to install. Select the specific CD-RW hardware that your machine has already in place (from your Dell printed manual)
When asked where to find drivers, select "Have Disk" and insert your Dell Driver reinstallation Disk. You may have to browse on that disk to the location of the CD-RW drivers.
Keep us posted with your progress, as others may be able to learn from your solution.
Best Regards
Thanks for info, I don't have a Dell manual, only a "Product Information Guide", which is very generic. I think a manual can be downloaded from the Dell website, but I haven't had a chance to explore that option yet. I really haven't had any problems to speak of til now, and had no reason to download the manual. Going to try your "miracle cure" now, let's hope it works.
I decided to give the PC a rest, and attempted to repair the poor thing Tuesday.
I went into "my computer", and looked at the hardware listed.
Local Disk (C:)
Floppy disk drive (A:)
DVD Drive (D:)
Removeable disk (F:)
CD drive was missing. I removed the cover, taking care against static, etc. Disconnected all wires, telephone, USBs, speakers, printer, and power. Checked the cable ribbons (?) going to the DVD and CD drives, everything appeared to be connected. Put the panel back on, connected all wiring, booted the PC, and it worked!
Well, this morning I booted up, everything fine, no error messages about the "Drive 3 not found", wonderful right? Not! I tried to burn a CD,
system hung up, and the CD drive was gone again. Performed the same procedure as above, re-booted, now it's fine again. Any clues?
Also, I checked the user accts., there should be 4, 1 for me, 1 for husband, 1 for daughter, and 1 for guest (which is never used). There is another acct. in there, I don't know when or how it arrived, it's called
"ASP.NET Machine A…", and shows it as a "limited account". Any ideas?
Thanks for any help and/or input on this.