This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

winlogon.exe infection! Help!

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

We need a special tool from Microsoft. It's a hefty 64.3 MB download but it's worth the trouble.
Please download & install the Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset

Once you have it installed, locate the file :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset\erd50.iso

It's another ISO file which you may burn onto a CD.

Reboot the machine with the ISO CD. I shall have further instructs in awhile
After you have rebooted with the ISO CD, you shall come to screen that looks like this.

[external image: Posted Image]


Select your Operating System & allow it to logon.

Then click on the Start button located on botton left of the screen
Navigate to System Tools & select System Restore


[external image: Posted Image]


Then have it roll back to an existing restore point created by Windows.

Remove the CD & reboot
Booting with the ISO CD, I get a PCI device listing and this message again: Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM : Hard Disk Missing operating system
OK, I just tried booting my work pc with the same boot CD and got basically the same message. The burning software I used to make it was Sonic DigitalMedia LE v7 and is basically all I have access to. Any free 3rd party burning software recomendations I can just download? I'll keep looking throughout the day…

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI