This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HELP! "Restrictions" message

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently had a Mal-Ware issue and had one of the guys in another forum on this site helped me out (ken545). He was very helpful and my issue was cleared up. However, I now get a "restrictions" message when I want to change certain things. After one of the changes I did, my background disappeared and was just plain blue…when I went to change it by right-clicking and selecting "properties", I get the message "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". I could change it before, but why not now?? Also, for some reason, "Control Panel" doesn't show up when I click "Start" anymore…it was there before…and if I click "My Computer", then click "Add or remove programs" under "System Tasks", I get the same "Restrictions" error message…. Somethings messed up, but I don't know what it is! Please help!! Thanks in advance!!
cutchelow… I did a "cut-and-paste" of the advice given me to fix the problem…here it is! I hope it helps you out… Buck you can try this also. Download FixPolicies to your Desktop, a self-extracting ZIP archive (Please ignore the warning about downloading .exe files, this file is safe) Double-click FixPolicies.exe Click the "Install" button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open. The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies. Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd. A black box will briefly appear and then close. Reboot and see how it is.
The "FixPolicies" is a program…I don't know how to transfer the link though. I'm sure if you do a Google search you can find it…. Good Luck!
Buck24, Thanks for the info on the FixPolicies program. Scotty helped me resolve my issue. I'll keep this in mind if I run into trouble again.
Glad someone found FixPolicies of benefit.

I wrote this because I was unhappy with the alternatives available at the time.
I went through hundreds of SmitFraud/Zlob, and Worm infections to find what keys were being used to block various parts of the user Control Panel and other crucial items. I still keep an active log, and about once a month I add new policy items as I discover them.

Enjoy,
Bill Castner

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI