We have word 2007 installed. We are running it in 97-03 compatibility mode. My daughter has a bunch of documents she wrote that are no longer readable. In place of the regular letters, she now has symbols. Any idea to what would cause this?
Thanks for the suggestion, but that does not seem to apply to this problem. That appears to let older versions of word open word 2007 docs. We already have word 2007 installed.
Hi ,
Sorry to hear your daughter is having problems with some Word files.
The fact that some open correctly whilst others don't indicates that the problem may lie in the individual files, so to check this out ,try this, open Word and:
1, When opening the file use File >Open
2 In the "Files of type," scroll down to "Recover text from any file"
3 See how she goes
Regards
paws
Hey there, I know I'm not a member of the tech team, but I'd like to just offer a suggestion, (if you haven't already tried it that is.)
Try opening your browser, bringing up the file by the address bar,
for example, it may be: C:\\Documents and Settings\user-name\My Documents\textfile.doc
Try opening the word file with your browser, copying the text, and saving it into a brand-new document in Microsoft word, (and saving in a different location for now.)
If this doesn't work; you could try sending the word documents to a friend's computer, and opening it from their version of Microsoft Word.
If it works, then I only assume that there is a problem with your version of Microsoft Word, (perhaps a problem with the installation? Try re-installing this program.)
Anyway, thought i'd just offer a suggestion…..=/
I'm new to this forum, so I aren't sure if the Tech Team allow none-members to offer help. I apolagize if this is the case. I just came across this topic and had an idea to share.
Good luck =)
Hi Dargoroth,
All good suggestions and thanks for your contributions which are appreciated.
All members are welcome to respond and share their knowledge and experience, this is one of the things that makes this forum so useful to so many different folks.
The exception to this concerns the malware removal forums where only trained, approved and experienced malware fighters are allowed to respond (due to damage that an untrained person could do to someones machine.)…perhaps render it unbootable for example if a tricky bit of malicious code was not dealt with appropriately….apart from that..please feel free to share your knowledge and experience.
Regards
paws
OK, that's cool
Shanenin, do you still need help with this problem?
Has my advice worked, or are you still unable to open the files?
Please let me know.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI