This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

No success using my fax services.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:blush: I would like to use the Fax Services that came with Windows XP/SP2
This is what I have done so far without success.

1. Opened Add and Remove
2) Clicked on Add/Remove Windows Components
3) Enabled Fax Services
4) Inserted my CD for Windows Home XP/SP2
5) Message come up "Cannot copy file fxscover.ex_. ensure Windows XP/SP2 is inserted, OR copy from D:\i386.
6) I click browse and look in i386, highlight FXCOVER.EX_
7) Click open
8) Get same message as above,

"Cannot copy file fxscover.ex_. ensure Windows XP/SP2 is inserted, OR copy from D:\i386.


I am stuck at this point.

Can I have some help with this please.

Kind regards,
Hi Tallin,

I know that you do your research when tackling a new problem.
But most of the MS Knowledge Base and third-party assistance resources for installing and using MS Fax Service describe How-To steps to use when everything goes correctly as planned.

There is an apparently known problem in XP Home and Pro when attempting to install from the \i386 folder and/or the XP SP2 CD.

Have you investigated methods to "extract" the Fax Service (FXCOVER.EX_) installation component from your D:\i386?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328096

If this linked MS resource does the trick for you, please let us know.
If you require additional assistance with the procedure, post back so we can take additional steps.

Best Regards

Hi Tallin,

There is an apparently known problem in XP Home and Pro when attempting to install from the \i386 folder and/or the XP SP2 CD.

Have you investigated methods to "extract" the Fax Service (FXCOVER.EX_) installation component from your D:\i386?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328096

Best Regards


Hi Doug and thanks for your reply,

I have XP SP2 Home, not Pro but the same problem is evident just the same.

No, I had not found the site you included, but doubt if all the work involved would be warranted just to prove a point. I would be lucky to sent 10 faxes a year so I may pass on it. Why does MS make it so difficult I wonder? The fix looks daunting to me. All is working so well, I do not want to disturb things.

Best regards, :unsure:
Hi tallin,
I think you are very wise,
The fax facility relies on a narrow band modem to work and a lot of machines these days are not fitted with them as most folks seem to be using broadband via cable, an ADSL modem or router.

Strangely enough the Fax was "relatively" easy to use under Win 98, but has become progressively more difficult as time and newer operating systems have come along, and now its getting to be a bit like the Schleswig-Holstein problem! :o

I did actually get it to work on one of my machines…once…. but it was a long time ago! see the link here:
http://firstdraft.blogs.com/gentlemanscomm…ver_became.html
Regards
paws
This worked for me!

The problem is a corrupted security database. See MS Knowledgebase article 884018 for the explanation. That contains a link to another article (278316) with the method needed to solve it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/en-us

You will need to determine the location of your %Temp% folder as part of the process. This page helped me figure that out.
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

Once I reset the security database, I rebooted and did the fax service install from Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs - Add/Remove Windows Components and it went without a hitch.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI