mcaren
Topic Starter
I'm not sure where to post this question…
Also, please forgive me if I'm asking something that's been asked a zillion times (I did a search on "Virtual" but didn't see anything that looked like an answer). I also have never used an OS emulator yet, so I hope this isn't a stupid question!
I wondered if you could burn potentially infected files on CDs and scan them while in a Virtual copy of XP – without infecting the host computer.
I was curious because I'm working on a super-infected computer and the owners want to keep some files (mostly photos, although unless I can use the Kodak software used to produce the albums to un-album them (into jpg files?) I might be adding them as Kodak albums – which I suppose could contain malicious code?). I'll be burning those files onto CDs. I don't know enough about malware to know if it is likely that I could re-infect their newly reformatted machine by scanning those files afterwards. I've got a Mac and a PC that dual boots with Ubuntu – and wondered if I'd be putting my machines at risk if I was able to scan files virtually.
If I had time for this (which I'm not sure I do), I'd probably be using QEMU on a Mac (Intel Mac, if that makes a difference). I don't know if the OS hosting the emulator would make a difference as far as potential infection goes…
So, if anyone can make sense of this I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks. mcaren