This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Motherboard

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was told to do something to check my motherboard before installing a new one and I was hoping somebody could tell me if it was good advice. I was told to unhook all my drives leave only HD and power supply hooked up and try to boot into windows. I was told that if I get the same errors it would most likely be my motherboard. I did what they said I still get the same errors so does this mean the problems I am having is with the motherboard, Thank you.
Hello kharley, What is the problem that you are having that would allow us to better determine what you need to do to test your mainboard.
I have posted in hardware listing all the problems but nothing has worked so I bought a new motherboard I just wanted to know if what they told me to do was right before I installed the new board, if my board was not bad I was going to return it and get my money back. I just wanted to know if what he told me was true that if after restarting with all the cd roms and the floppy disconnected and I still get the same errors that my motherboard is bad, Thank you.
OK I have been having trouble now for weeks and every thing I have tried has not worked, it started out with when I rebooted I got the error message no operateing system found. I then started getting an error on my floppy drive and had to hit F2 to boot into windows. I then started getting an error message on my mouse. I was given several suggestions and I did them all nothing worked. I replaced my floppy drive and the ribbon. I replaced my HD, I ran the Memtest86 for 5 hours to check my ram passed 10 times. I replaced my battery so I guess you could say I basically have a new computer if I install the motherboard. I just wanted to know if what I was told to do would really tell me my motherboard is bad before installing, Thank you.
I was told by them I didn't need to upgrade my BIOS that I had the one I needed for this board, so if I do need an upgrade I wouldn't know what to download, Thank you.
kharley, Does your computer get into windows? What is the make and model of your mainboard? You were talking about someone telling you to try some things do you have a link to that post if it was in the forums?
Yes my computer can get into windows, I dont have to many problems other than the errors on my mouse and floppy when I reboot and then I just have to hit F2 and it boots on into windows. I do have to reset my date and time everytime I have to disconnect the power to do anything. I was told by a computer store that if I disconnected everything except my power supply and HD and rebooted that if I got the same errors that my motherboard was bad. I dont thing listening to him was a good idea sense he sold me a motherboard that wouldn't work in my computer. I ask him about buying a power supply and a tester he didn't have those either. I even stopped at another computer store and he said he didn't think I could even buy those testers that give you the voltage, it's a sad thing when the computer stores in your area dont seem to know as much as they should. How do you know who to trust to work on your system anymore when you ask a question and it's a simple one but they cant answer it. I think I will stick with ya'll until it's figured out what the problem is, the problems dont seem to be major just aggravating, I am really starting to believe it's the power supply because I am not having any other problems, Thank you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI