This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can usually fix these things, I think

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI



:(




1.) windows has started acting wonky and I don't know exactly when this began, whenever I double click on a program or file to open it, instead of windows explorer opening it, the search page window opens and doesn't open the file. I have to manually chose "open" for it to do so correctly. 2.)Now whenever I open any media file, windows media player or some on line media viewer, the picture looks totally psychedelic, and running dianostic tests doesn't tell me if I am missing a codec, dll or if something is corrupted. 3.) When using IE and I try to open some pages, I get a page stating: see attachments


Any suggestions or help, my anti-virus says I'm clean so does my malware, so please help! I really don't want to do a total re-install.
Thanks many, aynothea
Hello aynothea and welcome to the WTT forums!

Sorry to hear that your computer is acting flaky. Let's look at each issue separately, we'll start with the first one. Could you right-click on one of the files you are trying to open and tell me what is in the context menu? Normal settings would appear similar to the following:
Open
New
Print
etc

Please post what yours displays and which item is bolded. Also on the same context menu, mouse over Open With… and make sure there is a default program selected to open the file. Please let me know the file type you do this with and what program(s) is/are selected, if any, as the default to open the file.

Regards,

Ax

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI