Again, sorry for the delay. I had to download the tool on my XP box to try it out.
Once you have extracted from the zip file, double-click the Dial-a-Fix icon. Then, in the new window, click on the fix Windows Updates check box, then press go.
did do what you said to do
when I pulled it up there is a box behind it that says something like
hkey current user Software\microsoft\windows\current version\policies\active desktop\no html wallpaper
then a value of 1 and then a type called REG_DWORD
at the bottom of this second box it says in bold 1 possible restriction was found
dont know what this is or what it means but I did not do anything with it I did do as you said for the windows updates
Right, first lets make sure you can see this folder.
To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Double-click on the My Computer icon (or click Start, then select My Computer)
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
After the new window appears select the View tab.
Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.
Now navigate to the C:\Windows folder. Inside you will find this WindowsUpdate.log
Im told it's a very big file.
Scroll down to the bottom, and look for installation failures. Then make a note of the error codes and post them in your next reply.
If it's any consolation, this is a Microsoft cock-up, and there is apparently a lot of discussions going on about it. So you are not alone.
Here's the latest instruction. Wait until tommorrow (the 6th) and try the updates. When they fail, return to that log and post all info relating to the 6th.
ok no problem. I will be extreemly busy on the 6th but I can do that in the am.
I am getting something new that has never been before. when I close a window it is taking a good bit longer than normal for it to close. if I have several open I can close them as always one at a time and by the time I get to the last window (say it is my home page) it will be there as normal I close it and the window goes white, then a 30 to 45 second laps and it closes. AND at the bottom of the screen where it tells you what window is open/ what you are running; well that stays there even longer AFTER the window is completely closed and gone. However it does go away but it takes even longer ( by seconds 5-10 or so)
BTW : I do thank you for sticking with this even though there seems to be little that helps.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI