Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Software Distribution Service 3.0 - Browsers Now Not Working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steve Gleadell

Steve Gleadell

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:28 AM

Hello All, I am new to these forums having just registered because I have come up against a problem I cannot solve. I used to be a techie for CSC so can find my way out of most problems but this one has me beat so I'm really really hoping someone here knows about this problem!!! Ok, so it's not my computer, that's working fine but rather my Mother-in-Law's computer. Suddenly one day she said she couldn't access the internet so I went to have a look and here's a summarisation of the problem and the setup:- 1. She has Windows XP SP2 running on a Dell tower and has Tiscali Broadband 2. Something called "Software Distribution Service 3.0" seems to have run itself at around 3am (GMT) 3. This is all happening in UK (I state that because MS told me that the programming for IE is different in UK to US) 4. Internet Explorer gives the error "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage" 5. Mozilla FireFox worked for a time but now that has stopped working also 6. Using the internal web-browser in Google Earth works perfectly!!!! 7. MSN logs in without a problem but, of course, when you click the mail button it opens IE and fails as per point 4. So, we got on the phone to Tiscali who tried a few things over the phone including a reinstall of IE and a System Restore to the day before the SDS3.0. That worked but then the very next day the problem came straight back once SDS3.0 re-attacked!! And now, System Restore won't work...........it reboots the PC and then says "Could not restore your computer to this restore point" whichever restore point I attempt..........it just won't work. So all in all, I'm pretty lost. If it were my computer (an HP) I'd just run full system recovery which reinstalls the OS WITHOUT losing data, but her Dell machine only has a bunch of CDs which reinstall the OS from scratch, losing all data held on the PC and then you have to run through a whole bunch of CDs to reinstall the drivers......not an easy solution by any means so I'm hoping there is something less intrusive that will fix it. I have mailed Microsoft (see point 3) but they just gave me a link to the UK support team which doesn't work!!!!!! Helpful as ever! What the hell is SDS 3.0? Why has it affected most browsers but clearly not the connection itself? I've checked the Internet settings (except that now when I try to access the Internet Settings a little box flashes up on the screen for about 1 millisecond then disappears and that's it!) and can't find the problem. Please help! I'll be eternally grateful to anyone that that can! Many Thanks in advance, Steve

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear of the problem.
I'm afraid I haven't got a "magic bullet for this one, but I suppose you have had a look here:
http://www.cybertech...ad.php?p=905779
as there are some good suggestions discussed.

Have you tried a system Restore in safe mode back to pre trouble times.?....but make sure you turn off Automatic Updates first.

Another plan might be to uninstall all MS Updates back to way before the troubles began, then see if you can get a system restore going.
It may be premature to think of a reinstall at this stage, but it might be worth checking that MIL has a good, up to date back up/archive/copy of all her important stuff, just to be on the safe side.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate