Deleted Member
Topic Starter
Hello:
I have a Dell XPS laptop that runs Windows XP. For the last 2 years no problems at all. I am on a Time Warner cable modem and my desktop has a router that sends an excellent signal to my laptop.
I was on vacation last week in Disney (Orlando) and my hotel had a wireless connection that I used when I was there. A Microsoft Update came through for SP3 when we were there and the download began but I'm not sure if it ever went through since I was never asked to restart and there was never any confirmation of the install. In fact, this morning I went to Microsoft and the SP3 was still available and it downloaded and installed completely this AM. I had hoped that this would solve the problem but nothing has changed.
Anyway, my internet connection is HORRIBLE. It takes forever to view a web page (that's if it doesn't just time out completely). I use Internet Explorer 6.0. Also, I use Outlook Express (6.0) for my e-mail and I can receive e-mail, but it won't let me SEND it.
Everything else on the computer seems to work normally.
I have run Spybot Search and Destroy and Adware 6 and they found only a few minor things but even after this, same problem. I tried using System Restore back to a date before my troubles began and no dice. I also run Spyware Guard at all times. I ran my McAfee antivirus stuff (which is updated daily) and it finds absolutely nothing.
I incorrectly posted this in the wrong forum and was told to post it here. I was also told to post a link to that forum so as to avoid duplicating it here. Here is the link to what has been tried already:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Internet_Exl…ems_t94551.html
It appears that my SP3 installation did not take (please see linked post). Could this incomplete/faulty SP3 install have caused this?
I have since downloaded and tried the Winsock repair tool and LSP fix tool without sucess.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
I have a Dell XPS laptop that runs Windows XP. For the last 2 years no problems at all. I am on a Time Warner cable modem and my desktop has a router that sends an excellent signal to my laptop.
I was on vacation last week in Disney (Orlando) and my hotel had a wireless connection that I used when I was there. A Microsoft Update came through for SP3 when we were there and the download began but I'm not sure if it ever went through since I was never asked to restart and there was never any confirmation of the install. In fact, this morning I went to Microsoft and the SP3 was still available and it downloaded and installed completely this AM. I had hoped that this would solve the problem but nothing has changed.
Anyway, my internet connection is HORRIBLE. It takes forever to view a web page (that's if it doesn't just time out completely). I use Internet Explorer 6.0. Also, I use Outlook Express (6.0) for my e-mail and I can receive e-mail, but it won't let me SEND it.
Everything else on the computer seems to work normally.
I have run Spybot Search and Destroy and Adware 6 and they found only a few minor things but even after this, same problem. I tried using System Restore back to a date before my troubles began and no dice. I also run Spyware Guard at all times. I ran my McAfee antivirus stuff (which is updated daily) and it finds absolutely nothing.
I incorrectly posted this in the wrong forum and was told to post it here. I was also told to post a link to that forum so as to avoid duplicating it here. Here is the link to what has been tried already:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Internet_Exl…ems_t94551.html
It appears that my SP3 installation did not take (please see linked post). Could this incomplete/faulty SP3 install have caused this?
I have since downloaded and tried the Winsock repair tool and LSP fix tool without sucess.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!